Are these worth $140?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigRed96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Found these a few hours away. Are they worth it?
6AD985E0-7849-422B-9AB2-70C87C6AF37D.jpeg
3F00AE28-7BCF-46CF-8876-187884A08462.jpeg

Well they look like Aluminum 80s. One hydro on left tanks states 7/74 so probably the alloy used in making them is suspect.
They are probably not in hydro. I would pass unless you want to use the tanks as lamp posts.

The bands look ok to me.
The D-rings on the harness look ok to me.
The webbing looks ok too..

The system used to connect the 2 tanks together is seldom used these days.

Is 6498 the bad alloy? I’ll look it up it a bit

Thanks for the replies. Definitely a pass.
You might try pointing out to the seller that the tanks themselves are junk, and see if you could get it low enough to make the bands, plate and cheater bar worth it?
Respectfully,
James

You might try pointing out to the seller that the tanks themselves are junk, and see if you could get it low enough to make the bands, plate and cheater bar worth it?
Respectfully,
James
What would you think those are worth?

A few hours away? They’re not worth the time and money (fuel) it would take to go collect them.

Edit: Let’s say that you wanted to use them for a project. Maybe $20 each. Tops.

My comparison points...you can buy recent AL80’s with current vis and hydro for $90/each. It’s $50 or so for one out of vis or hydro that should pass both.

I'm an inherently cheap SOB... so I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I will say, though, that the cheater bar manifold is more of a vintage thing.... as I understand it, modern "Tech" is all using 2 post manifolds (most with isolation valves). If I was going that direction anyway, I'd probably offer him $70 and see what he said. As @Barnaby'sDad said, I probably wouldn't make a special trip for them.
Just my (admittedly not very well informed) 2 psi.
James

Back
Top Bottom