Are socal liveaboards still a thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brett Hatch

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I've never done a LOB trip, and have never done any diving in SoCal, think it might be fun to do both at once. Something like 2-5 days.

I had booked a 3-day weekend trip to the Channel Islands aboard the Vision for October 2019, back when it was operated by Truth Aquatics. After the Conception catastrophe a month prior, the trip was cancelled. Truth Aquatics seems to have changed names to Sea Landing Santa Barbara, and their website doesn't have much information.

So, in the post-Conception world, are there any liveaboards in SoCal, ideally that go to the Channel Islands? And if so:
- Are the operations run well?
- What are their procedures for covid-19 safety, if any?
- What are their changes to safety protocols since the Conception, if any?
- Is the food good?
- Do they support nitrox fills?
- Anything else I should know about?

Thanks y'all.

I thought Channel Islands Expeditions is the name of the company now running the Vision? Is this the website you were looking at? Dive California and the Channel Islands - Channel Islands Expeditions

Haven't gone out on one of their trips yet, but would be interested to hear from anyone who has.
Thank you for the link, looks like you are right: both Truth and Vision are now operated by Channel Islands Expeditions, and they appear to be chartering LOB trips once or twice a week.

I honestly did not know whose is operating the Vision and/or the Truth. I was just looking at the truthaquatics.com, which appears to now be a website for a dive company called Sea Landing -- and which doesn't have any real info, just a contact button.

Edit to add: some readers may be interested to read about their recent safety improvements, which are documented here. Highlights include:
- a safety management system (SMS)
- centralized fire detection electronics
- 2 additional hatches on the Vision (and slightly fewer bunks, see diagrams in the link if you're curious. There appear to be 31 passenger bunks and one crew bunk belowdecks)
- a fireproof charging closet
- no charging electronics in the bunk room after 9pm
- the safety orientation is now mandatory, and includes guests may practice opening the hatches

I'm no seaman or mariner, but to my eye, it looks like they took the lessons from the Conception seriously, and have implemented many of the consensus improvements. So that's nice to read. I might just give them a call soon. If anybody has been on these vessels since they've changed hands, I would be happy to hear about your experience.

Thank you for the link, looks like you are right: both Truth and Vision are now operated by Channel Islands Expeditions, and they appear to be chartering LOB trips once or twice a week.

I honestly did not know whose is operating the Vision and/or the Truth. I was just looking at the truthaquatics.com, which appears to now be a website for a dive company called Sea Landing -- and which doesn't have any real info, just a contact button.

Edit to add: some readers may be interested to read about their recent safety improvements, which are documented here. Highlights include:
- a safety management system (SMS)
- centralized fire detection electronics
- 2 additional hatches on the Vision (and slightly fewer bunks, see diagrams in the link if you're curious. There appear to be 31 passenger bunks and one crew bunk belowdecks)
- a fireproof charging closet
- no charging electronics in the bunk room after 9pm
- the safety orientation is now mandatory, and includes guests may practice opening the hatches

I'm no seaman or mariner, but to my eye, it looks like they took the lessons from the Conception seriously, and have implemented many of the consensus improvements. So that's nice to read. I might just give them a call soon. If anybody has been on these vessels since they've changed hands, I would be happy to hear about your experience.
I haven’t been since before the change of ownership, the only reason is for a bit more $ than a 4 day trip i can do 8 days in Curaçao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom