Are My Fins Junk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kvitense

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to diving and was wondering if the Tusa Platina fins are a good fin. The local dive shop is clearancing them for $75 and I bought a pair for my open water certification course. It seemed like a pretty good price based on the cost of the split fins which I understand are supposed to be better, but they wanted $190 for those. $75 seemed like too good of a deal to pass up for me since I am just learning. Thanks for any input.

Not mine - don't know the fin - but here's what Rodale's has to say:
---------------------
TUSA Platina
Another fin that is widely advertised as innovative is the Platina. TUSA did not respond to our requests for the fin, so we purchased a pair, as we did last year when they did not submit their Cetus fins. The Cetus fins turned out to be both a Best Buy and a Tester's Choice in our budget fin evaluation.
The Platina did not fare as well, earning only average scores in all categories. This is in part due to its stiff blade and the fact that it only comes in one size. Course efficiency scores were on the bottom edge of average. The Platina uses three different materials, two-piece construction, many small finlets and has a Dual Acceleration System (DAS)—none of which improve its efficiency nor address the issue of turbulence.

The quick-release and quick-adjusting buckle system is excellent.
----------------------
Rick

From what I've read they are supposed to be their high end fin... Not including their split which is what I use

I have tried them a few times and find them to be have very flexible blades (compared to the Imprex) ... almost like the rubber fins snorkellers use.

Junk or not depends on the user preference.

Hey K. -
Although I am a Jetfin die-hard, my husband loves to experiment with the new fin designs. He would tell you that the newest, most expensive fins are not necesarily "the best." One very fancy pair I bought him would be fine for boat dives but on the beach, they scoop sand & make the backwards stepping awkward. This is a really intense time for equipment design innovation. Soon, the results will be in on whether split fins really are "all that." As a new diver, fit is al you really have to worry about. If it is comfortable, you will focus on skills, not fighting the equipment. As you get more confident, you can start splitting hairs about finer points of performance.

I must tell you that from my experience, the things marked for clearance can be one of 2 things: decent but unglamourous last-year's crop, or a design that just didn't quite work out so well (ie: my snorkel with an inch too much length & a heavy top that makes it sag away from my face & suck water). If you are looking at big-ticket stuff, it is easier for us rescuers to save you if you have very standard equipment. If your fins feel good on your feet & your legs can handle a bunch of laps in the pool, you have a nice pair.

If you'r comfortable with these- they'r good. It's that's simple. Dosen't matter split or not, good looking or not. If it works nicely for you- stick to it.

My first fins were Sherwood Magnum Vs, which Rodale's rated low-average. They had this to say:

The Magnum was the stiffest fin in this test group, as measured in the lab and as perceived by the test divers. This caused ergonomic and subjective scores to be on the low side of average.

When I read this my heart sank, but I still love those fins, why? They fit great, they work well for the type of diving I do, and I would still use them if the foot pockets would fit my drysuit...

So, the best thing to do is try several in the pool or whatever and see what works, but fit is the best, as people have said above..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom