Are Halycon dry suit pockets worth the added expense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mtbr

Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any benefits in using Halcyon dry suit pockets?
My GUE Fundy classmates and instructor are sporting them.
They seem a bit expense at about $100 a pop.

FWIW, I dove a wetsuit for almost two years (no pockets) then ordered a DUI TLS 350 with pockets and knee pads. The pockets (which have D-rings inside them to clip things off) are brilliant! I am not a tech diver, so I have a BC and find that the BC pockets are not as convenient as the large bellows pockets on the drysuit.

In fact, I just ordered some scuba shorts with cargo pockets so that I can keep the pockets with my wetsuit now.

I use the pockets to carry a small waterproof camera, an extra dive slate, an extra mask, and a rescue sausage with finger spool.

One of my suits doesn't have the H pockets, and I hate it. The other suit, however, has the exploration pockets, and they are worth every penny. They hold everything, and most importantly, I can get things in and out without fighting the pocket.

Although I rarely recommend them, 5th-D dive shop here in Seattle has good quality bellows pockets for $30, with grommets and drainage. If I were going to spend $100 on pockets, I'd buy the ones from Deep Sea Supply that come on the big neoprene backing. My experience has been that, when I glued pockets on my drysuit, they gradually peeled down from the corners because of the shear forces when the pockets catch on stuff in the car, and when they are accessed. Tobin's pockets, being sewn onto an oversized backing, put the forces away from the weak places in the gluing.

Sorry if I'm being ignorant, but what are scuba shorts and where did you get them?

The "Highland by XS-Scuba 2mm Super Stretch Neoprene Pocket Shorts" can be viewed at LeisurePro's website: Highland by XS-Scuba 2mm Super Stretch Neoprene Pocket Shorts . I bought them through LP but they haven't arrived yet. I can't say that they are good or not from personal experience, but when I asked about them in a post http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/321717-scuba-shorts-glue-pocket.html there were many experienced divers who indicated that they liked the product.

Back
Top Bottom