ARE FULL-FACE SNORKEL MASKS SAFE???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
It seems to me that we've discussed this in this forum before so I thought this webinar from D.A.N. might be of interest. Rachel Lance did a small study on using FFSMs. The short version was that functionally, the differences in performance between a regular mask & snorkel and a FFSM are negligible. But it was an interesting presentation IMHO. You can view the one-hour talk here: .

EDIT: Corrected the link.

It seems to me that we've discussed this in this forum before so I thought this webinar from D.A.N. might be of interest. Rachel Lance did a small study on using FFSMs. The short version was that functionally, the differences in performance between a regular mask & snorkel and a FFSM are negligible. But it was an interesting presentation IMHO. You can view the one-hour talk here: https://youtu.be/zWyR84drbn0.
It's a 15 second commercial :poke:

It's a 15 second commercial :poke:
The right link is
If you don't want to spend an hour on this (it is not worth it), here is the punch-line slide:
1639796466709.png

People hardly ever die using those. :D
I hope that's intended as a sarcastic comment because the statement on its face isn't true.

This study strictly looks at functionality and concludes that the FFSMs should be as functional as a traditional snorkel. What we don't know is fatality rate for each. In other words, in the universe of snorkelers, how many die per year vs in the universe of FFSM users, how many die per year. If the rates are the same, then there's no difference between the two.

My suspicion - absolutely NOT supported by any data - is that the rate for FFSMs is higher. And I think what you need to factor in, and I posed this as a written question at the end, is why people are using a FFSM. usually it seems it's because they don't want water on their face and they don't want to get water in the snorkel.

If that is correct, then the finding of the study that the masks are somewhat prone to water intrusion becomes significant. Because if you get these to avoid the water issues and you get them, does that change your rate of breathing (anxiety/panic) which then brings into play the finding of a greater work of breathing with some of the FFSMs, and the two of those together ma prove to be a fatal combo.

I hope that's intended as a sarcastic comment because the statement on its face isn't true.

This study strictly looks at functionality and concludes that the FFSMs should be as functional as a traditional snorkel. What we don't know is fatality rate for each. In other words, in the universe of snorkelers, how many die

This study strictly looks at functionality and concludes that the FFSMs should be as functional as a traditional snorkel. What we don't know is fatality rate for each. In other words, in the universe of snorkelers, how many die per year vs in the universe of FFSM users, how many die per year. If the rates are the same, then there's no difference between the two.

My suspicion - absolutely NOT supported by any data - is that the rate for FFSMs is higher. And I think what you need to factor in, and I posed this as a written question at the end, is why people are using a FFSM. usually it seems it's because they don't want water on their face and they don't want to get water in the snorkel.

If that is correct, then the finding of the study that the masks are somewhat prone to water intrusion becomes significant. Because if you get these to avoid the water issues and you get them, does that change your rate of breathing (anxiety/panic) which then brings into play the finding of a greater work of breathing with some of the FFSMs, and the two of those together ma prove to be a fatal combo.

The question is; how many die (traditional snorkelers vs. users of this contraption) because the equipment itself is dangerous.

If that is correct, then the finding of the study that the masks are somewhat prone to water intrusion becomes significant. Because if you get these to avoid the water issues and you get them, does that change your rate of breathing (anxiety/panic) which then brings into play the finding of a greater work of breathing with some of the FFSMs, and the two of those together may prove to be a fatal combo.
Too many ifs and somes and maybes........a risk analysis might come out that it is more dangerous to drive to the snorkeling site.

I would guess that full face snorkel masks exist because manufactures sat down with focus groups of average people and asked them what they like and dislike about snorkeling. Surely one of the big pain points they identified was "I don't like that I can't breath through my nose!!" so they developed these products to target that market segment. They are targeting a market segment of not only inexperienced people, but perhaps people who don't even want to become experienced. Young kids, first timers, people wearing life vests on a booze-cruise snorkel trip who might not even be able to swim well. That's who uses these things. Therefor, when a problem happens (like, god forbid, a mask flood) they panic and possibly die because nobody ever taught them how to snorkel safely. The manufacturer just provided a band-aid solution to the nose discomfort problem.

On the other hand it's nice that they made snorkeling a little more accessible to people turned off by the nose thing, which is a lot of people. I remember preferring goggles to dive masks as a young kid. It's really important to help more people experience and engage with otherwise invisible underwater ecosystems. But man, someone should teach 'em how to swim and clear a mask. End rant.

I don't understand the problem. If they are on a snorkel outing of any kind, doesn't that mean that they enjoy swimming, etc? What's the problem with regular snorkels? I learned decades ago, but there wasn't much to learn.
  • Spit in your mask so it won't fog up. Nowadays I use baby shampoo.
  • Use a little vaseline on a mustache so it'll seal. Nowadays I use silicone grease.
  • Blow the water out of the tube so you can then suck air. Nowadays snorkels come with drains making that so easy.
  • And if your mask leaks or floods, tread water while you clear it. Nowadays I know the skill to clear without treading.
What's so hard?
"I don't like that I can't breath through my nose!!"
Get over it. All mammals, even before humans, have mouths connected to the breathing system so that mouth breathing works. Didn't everyone grow up running around so hard that they had to breathe thru their mouths?
wearing life vests on a booze-cruise snorkel trip who might not even be able to swim well.
Well, the vest should be able to save them. The snorkel vests I use and loan do have a screw valve that needs to be open so I stress that to others and check my own.
Therefor, when a problem happens (like, god forbid, a mask flood) they panic and possibly die because nobody ever taught them how to snorkel safely.
Tread water and inflate your vest while you deal with it.

Full face masks are stupid with increased chances of leaks because they are larger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom