Are Apeks Thermiq 8/7 side pockets suitable for sidemount diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingEnthusiast1

Registered
Reaction score
Is Apeks Thermiq suitable for sidemount given side pockets?

Tried the Apeks Thermiq 8/7 semi dry and loved it. Only issue is that it has side pockets with a hard pull bar. Since I dive sidemount I am worried that these pockets (esp. the hard tube to pull them open) will get in the way. Do any sidemount divers here have experience with this or other wetsuits with side pockets? Are they an issue?

To be clear: I am not planning on using these pockets. I will use my butt pouch. Just want to know if they will be uncomfortable or affect tank trim. Appreciate any help!

I don't have any experience with this suit, but I'm pretty sure that the sturdy bar on the pocket flap will not create any obstacles. I carry different items in my pockets and don't even feel them. It shouldn't be adding hassle even to reach your thigh pockets. In sidemount, you have to push the cylinders aside anyway, and then there is no difference. The hard bar will help you to locate the edge of the flap. I sewed pieces of webbing on the flaps of my Fusion dry suit pockets which ar notorious for being difficult to find and feel. One of my sidemount friends did a smart thing - he moved the pockets from the sides to the backs of his thighs. Perhaps this is not an option for this suit.

It would be a pitty not to use such lovely pockets. I would find it really awkward to carry a spare mask or an SMB in a butt pouch, and a waste of space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom