Are AMF Swimaster 3F98 Mini Mark X Fins any good? Can't find much out online.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean_ Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought a pair online & haven't picked them up yet, I got them for $10 N.Z which is like $6.50 U.S I want to use them to free dive for seafood, Crayfish, Paua (Abalone) just want to know if they are any good? as they are vintage? I'm not a pro by any means but would appreciate any feedback... Thanks in advance.

1214978301.jpg

The Swimaster 3F98 Mini Mark X fin is marked as "new" in the 1979 Voit-Swimaster catalogue:
Swimaster_3F98_1.jpg

Swimaster_3F98_2.jpg

My collection of scans of AMF-Voit-Swimaster catalogues is incomplete. I have the 1977 edition, where these fins are conspicuous by their absence, but I don't have the 1978 version or any of the company's post-1979 catalogues, so I cannot say how long the fins remained in production. The fins pictured above in the 1979 catalogue are marked "Made in USA", which indicates that they are the "original" 3F98s. Voit-Swimaster outsourced fin production to Malaysia during the 1980s, so if the fins you purchased are labelled "Made in Malaysia", they will have been manufactured later than 1979.

The name "Swimaster 3F98 Mini Mark X fin" implies that a series of Mark X fins preceded it. The Swimaster 2F93 Mark X fin appeared in 1974 as an unashamed Jet fin clone:
Swimaster_2F93_MarkX.jpg

The 1977 catalogue expanded the range of vented fins:
Swimaster_2F96-8.jpg

So your fins represent a new series of Jet fin clones made from gum rubber. This choice of material marks a return to the 1950s, when Duck Feet fins reigned supreme and gum rubber fins were associated with excellent quality and durability. Your fins may be heavier than those made from so-called "technopolymers" or "space-age" materials, but they will be relatively indestructible and their performance will not disappoint you if your kick is sufficiently powerful. I can't speak from personal experience as I only use full-foot fins.

Do let us know how you get on with your recent purchase. A pair of gum-rubber fins for just over 6 bucks is a real bargain.

I don't know the "Mini" Mark X, but I've been diving the regular Mark X for about ten years now.
Picked up my first pair on eBay to round out a vintage set-up, but found them to be a surprisingly good every-day rugged fin for our west coast cold water diving.
When I started using them more I installed a set of spring straps, which is especially helpful for surf entries.
Now they're my first choice go-to fins for local diving.
But too heavy for travel.

Since that time I've bought three additional pairs of Mark X's.
Why three?
I love them, and I keep finding them ridiculously cheap on eBay or at garage sales!
I'm Swimaster Rescue, and I give them a good home.

I paid $3 for my second pair at a scuba swap meet.

My fins are older than most of my dive buddies.

If SB readers are planning to buy a pair, be on the look-out for cracking in the rubber around the foot pocket. That's bad.
Almost always the straps are cracking, but they can be replaced.

K.

Don't freedivers generally prefer long and skinny fins vs short and fat like these? I've no idea why, but that's what I always see. Jets (and jet clones) have a solid reputation among scuba divers, though.

Don't freedivers generally prefer long and skinny fins vs short and fat like these? I've no idea why, but that's what I always see. Jets (and jet clones) have a solid reputation among scuba divers, though.

Ocean_Hunter intends to use these fins for underwater hunting. Compare the fins that the Haenyeo indigenous breathhold divers on Korea's Jeju Island opt to wear when they make a very good living harvesting seafood:
bluefins5-png.551554.png

haenyeo_lowres_shutterstock_1099157915-960x640-jpg.551552.jpg

I don't know the "Mini" Mark X, but I've been diving the regular Mark X for about ten years now.
Picked up my first pair on eBay to round out a vintage set-up, but found them to be a surprisingly good every-day rugged fin for our west coast cold water diving.
When I started using them more I installed a set of spring straps, which is especially helpful for surf entries.
Now they're my first choice go-to fins for local diving.
But too heavy for travel.

Since that time I've bought three additional pairs of Mark X's.
Why three?
I love them, and I keep finding them ridiculously cheap on eBay or at garage sales!
I'm Swimaster Rescue, and I give them a good home.

I paid $3 for my second pair at a scuba swap meet.

My fins are older than most of my dive buddies.

If SB readers are planning to buy a pair, be on the look-out for cracking in the rubber around the foot pocket. That's bad.
Almost always the straps are cracking, but they can be replaced.

K.
Thanks for your input much appreciated.

The Swimaster 3F98 Mini Mark X fin is marked as "new" in the 1979 Voit-Swimaster catalogue:
View attachment 553372
View attachment 553373

My collection of scans of AMF-Voit-Swimaster catalogues is incomplete. I have the 1977 edition, where these fins are conspicuous by their absence, but I don't have the 1978 version or any of the company's post-1979 catalogues, so I cannot say how long the fins remained in production. The fins pictured above in the 1979 catalogue are marked "Made in USA", which indicates that they are the "original" 3F98s. Voit-Swimaster outsourced fin production to Malaysia during the 1980s, so if the fins you purchased are labelled "Made in Malaysia", they will have been manufactured later than 1979.

The name "Swimaster 3F98 Mini Mark X fin" implies that a series of Mark X fins preceded it. The Swimaster 2F93 Mark X fin appeared in 1974 as an unashamed Jet fin clone:
View attachment 553375

The 1977 catalogue expanded the range of vented fins:
View attachment 553376
So your fins represent a new series of Jet fin clones made from gum rubber. This choice of material marks a return to the 1950s, when Duck Feet fins reigned supreme and gum rubber fins were associated with excellent quality and durability. Your fins may be heavier than those made from so-called "technopolymers" or "space-age" materials, but they will be relatively indestructible and their performance will not disappoint you if your kick is sufficiently powerful. I can't speak from personal experience as I only use full-foot fins.

Do let us know how you get on with your recent purchase. A pair of gum-rubber fins for just over 6 bucks is a real bargain.

Thanks for taking the time out to respond David, much appreciated... your very thorough.
I'll try and remember to let you know how I get on, thanks.

Thanks for taking the time out to respond David, much appreciated... your very thorough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom