Are all HP tank to valve o-rings the same 7/8?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin

Reaction score
I have a steel 80HP and my LDS has said that they don't know what O-ring to use on it. Aren't all HP tank o-rings the same?
This is a genesis tank valve by the way. Not sure if this is a special o-ring or not..... but sounded really screwy to me.

What do you think?

I think that all HP tanks use a DIN connector on the tank valve. On a DIN connection the O-ring does not go on tank side of the connection it goes on the first stage regulator side of the connection (the o-ring does not stay with the tank it stays with the reg).

Mike

I think he was talking about the o ring between the tank and the tank valve.

My HP's are fabers and they are 3/4 just like a standard AL 80. Some other HP's are 7/8.

But I don't know what size o ring. I just used one that fits without looking...

Yea...

these are 7/8. HP. This o-ring is the one between the tank and the tank valve. Trying to see if anyone knows if these come in different flavors..... or all 7/8 tank o-rings are the same?

Yes, all O rings which fit HP tanks with 7/8-14 neck are the same regardless of tank capacity. This includes PST, Asahi (Genesis) and Sherwood (Genesis). These O rings are different from those in aluminum tanks both in size and the way they form a seal. They are not compression fit but dynamic fit, similar to the main O ring in a piston regulator. The O rings are standard SAE size and commonly available in nitrile and viton. Your dive shop guy is probably confused about the way the O rings fits down into the neck of the tank without squeezing it. As I said, this is normal.

Edit: I checked the O ring size. The HP ring dimensions are .737 X .103. The ring appears to be made out of a hard rubber nitrile compound. The viton style is a bit softer. Note that .737 is the ID.

If you can believe this... the shop STILL does not have my tank vis'd and filled. It has been almost a month. Still waiting for an o-ring to come in....? Large chain sporting goods store here in S. Cali..

I thought the o-rings were all the same on HP steel tanks.... but I guess we'll see what they come up with.

Why not pick up a ring at a dive shop? Unfortunately, sports outfits like Sports Chalet have frequent personel turnover which may mean noone is watching the store (so to speak). A hardware store or plumbing shop could probably match up the ring if you take them the dimensions that I cited. They may not have O2 compatible viton, however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom