Arc mask leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Gorton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I just joined I'm from New Zealand. Needed a new mask so searched best masks 2016 and decided on a venom arc mask. It had pretty good reviews so got one online last week. Tryed it out twice and both times it leaked. Did some more research and found they had leaking issues grrrrrr. Found how to identify age of my mask by the little round stamps on either side of the inside nose silicon. It's got 11 on the left hand stamp and 12 on the RHS stamp so Im thinking 11th month of 2012 I'm waiting for the shop to reopen but wanted anyone's opinion please. I've tryed many masks over the years none have leaked on my face. Paid $360 NZD so much more than my mares x vision I had. I broke the glass on the mares so had to buy another mask. The Arc has great clarity and feels great but leaks every time. I tryed to see if the seals around the lens was dodgy but everything looks ok to me. Any other advise from you guys

I had the same problem with the sub-frame a couple of years ago. I found that it developed several small cracks in the frame. It was the most expensive mask I have ever purchased and also the worst. I do now have the Atomic Frameless that I love. I bought it and an Atomic snorkel for $70 at a charity auction. I thought that I would just sell it cheap or give it away, because of the experience I had with the sub-frame. But I dove and love it, hope it holds up.

Contact Atomic, get an RMA, and return the mask. It is a know defect with the skirt. They will send you a new one.

Masks are much better shopped where you can try them on, not on line unless you already know for sure it will fit. It's harder than buying shoes on line.
Just because other people like it is no guarantee at all it will fit you. I've tried pretty much all the 'Big Eye' masks.....none fit me.

This is the proper way to fit a mask: Scuba Mask Fit--Insuring Your New Mask Fits Properly | Carib Inn

Bought two atomic masks, the venom ARC and the subframe, and ended up selling both because they leaked horribly. Too bad too because the glass on the ARC was gorgeous. I suspect my face/smile lines are at least partially at fault, but no amount of adjusting or mask seal could make those masks work for me. Ended up going with a Hollis in the end. Learned the hard way that more expensive isn't always better when it comes to scuba gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom