Aquarium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven’t tried it yet price is a bit steep 250, I’ve been to the aquarium is a great aquarium in the heart of the city probably going to try it this summer.

We went last year with the kids. It was awesome. By far best aquarium ever. If I had to do anything different would have been nice to fed the whale sharks with the kids, but even that's pretty pricey, and we were running short on time when I found out about it.

Georgia aquarium was a very good one timer (two for me)

On top of a free tee shirt, you also get a very nice grocery bag. (making a little joke here, but they do give you a nice bag.)

I did it with my brother and then with my wife and daughter. It is very well put together - you get to see them shoveling whatever it is whale sharks eat behind small boats and they munch it down.

Mantas also play in your bubbles and there was my personal favorite a saw toothed shark.

The briefing is good and you do see some really cool stuff. (its quite cool how thick the glass is and on my second dive, even though she was warned, my instabuddy rocked her face right into it)

As earlier noted, I was annoyed I had to pay to get in to have the privilege of spending 300+ on a dive. The first time it was included.

That being said, this is a biblically good dive for a parent and a younger newer diver. Something they won't forget, and they don't care about it being 30 minutes etc, they will just jabber on about how cool it was to almost get trucked by a whale shark.

I am with Kharon, the video they sell you stinks, but...with my daughter there, had to get it.

I volunteer dive with the Alaska Sea Life Center cleaning the fish, steller sea lion, and seal habitat. The requirements for doing so are based on the aquarium's diving manual, which reflect AAUS requirements. Lots of fun, satisfies my need for cold water diving, gives me a lot of satisfaction. It is a great institution and I work with a great bunch of people. But, in all my 36 years of diving, I have never worked so hard underwater as I have in the habitats.

I did do the Atlanta Aquarium Dive back in November.

I really enjoyed it, but it was expensive and short.

I liked seeing the people on the outside looking in.

If I went back, it would be with my fiancee. I may opt for the snorkel with her.

From what I learned, the animals there are almost all rescues who could not survive in the ocean.

I had looked into Baltimore (before the riots) it's minimum 30 dives w/AOW, but they want 8 hours every other week. I don't have that kind of time....maybe in my later years.

There was an instructor that I did some checkout dives with that was on the team. Said it was really rewarding given that you can't always just jump on a plane and go somewhere.

I had looked into Baltimore (before the riots) it's minimum 30 dives w/AOW, but they want 8 hours every other week. I don't have that kind of time....maybe in my later years.

There was an instructor that I did some checkout dives with that was on the team. Said it was really rewarding given that you can't always just jump on a plane and go somewhere.

At the National Aquarium in Baltimore (NAIB), the AOW/30 dives/8 Hours requirement is for volunteer divers. The volunteer divers work at the aquarium on a regular schedule - feeding, cleaning, etc. The Guest Diver program is a short 45 minute dive that allows people to experience the Atlantic Coral Reef exhibit. Guest Divers only need a current OW cert. from any agency and a medical form.
ae-naib-100618-8.jpg
ae-naib-100618-10.jpg

Note that I took these photos while DM'ing for a photo dive there. Normally, cameras are not allowed. To participate in the Guest Diver photo dive, you must have already done the Guest Diver program once and demonstrated control in the exhibit.

While I agree with a previous poster about captivity and containment in general, the National Aquarium in Baltimore is a non-profit whose focus is education, rehabilitation, re-release, and conservation. A portion of the Guest Diver proceeds go to supporting this mission.

If anyone would like more info about diving the NAIB, just let me know. I have over 100 dives there.

I haven’t tried it yet price is a bit steep 250, I’ve been to the aquarium is a great aquarium in the heart of the city probably going to try it this summer.

Keep me posted if the experience is worth the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom