Aquaprop L DPV what are your thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shabaday

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been looking at the Blacktip Travel/Tech and those look appealing...However I was looking for something that weighs less if possible as I have a bad back so less is helpful...was researching and saw the ScubaJet and now the Aquaprop L which looks good to me. The scooter will just be used for local recreational diving....no caves...just recreational
So what are thoughts about AquaProp L??

If you look at Dive X's comparison chart, in a 12Ah Blacktip's 2-3 speed range, the Aquaprop has very similar performance.

1635079342992.png

If these speeds are adequate for your diving (and better for a bad back), there are trade-offs to consider. For example:

Blacktip:
Lower cost
More flexible battery options (though 12Ah batteries are currently hard/impossible to find)
More speed options
Poor customer service (in my experience)

Aquaprop:
Lighter, more compact package
Much more reliable (in my experience)

Several of us have Blacktips. One dive buddy wanted something lighter and bought an Aquaprop L, which cost more than the Blacktip. SubGravity / Bonex build quality is good. Range is much more limited with the Aquaprop, it only has two speeds, one is slower than Blacktip speed 3, the other is higher than Blacktip speed 3 but slower than Blacktip speed 4, so speed matching other scooters is problematic. The Aquaprop is diminutive by comparison, weighs about 10 lbs less than the Blacktip, which is nice for beach dives, but definitely much less capable. No data as far as run time yet, but it seems to do OK on a one hour shore dive with moderate scootering.

On the 4th Aquaprop dive, the propeller fell off, possibly knocked on exit. Subgravity wouldn't warranty it, even though it was never removed to lubricate; they consider it a consumable. There's no way to positively secure the prop.

There's no good place to mount a compass on the Aquaprop so that it reads accurately and isn't affected by electronics, whereas @Patrick Sadowski makes excellent compass mounts for the Blacktip that make underwater navigation a cinch

On the 4th Aquaprop dive, the propeller fell off, possibly knocked on exit. Subgravity wouldn't warranty it, even though it was never removed to lubricate; they consider it a consumable. There's no way to positively secure the prop.

There isnt a clutch on the prop so it's designed to pop off if it hits something in order to protect the motor. If you can find it, you can pop it back on. Not the greatest design but if youre careful it doesnt arise often.

If you are mixing and matching scooters in a team, the Aquaprop is not going to keep up but in my experience i can get at least a couple of one-hour solo dives between charges. Carrying it through surf is much less daunting that the Blacktip.

As i mentioned it's been very reliable whereas my Blacktip has been very glitchy and customer support has been disappointing.

I am no machinist but I built a compass/computer mount out of aluminum stock that fits in front of the handle. There is some magnetic deviation from the motor but it is close enough for my purposes.

Thanks for the information! Very helpful...How has the Blacktip been glitchy?

Thanks for the information! Very helpful...How has the Blacktip been glitchy?
I was getting a lot of funky display issues and I thought it was software related. Dive X has issued several firmware updates and they didn't address the problem. After a lot of back and forth over a year, Dive X finally traced it to a loose connection somewhere. When I got it back, one of power cables popped out of the connector (bad crimp). I bought a more robust power connector and wired it myself.

I am still seeing some issues with the display and speed shifting but I need to run it more to pinpoint exactly what the issue is. I have been busy as hell with various other priorities and haven't used it in a while.

There isnt a clutch on the prop so it's designed to pop off if it hits something in order to protect the motor. If you can find it, you can pop it back on. Not the greatest design but if youre careful it doesnt arise often.

If you are mixing and matching scooters in a team, the Aquaprop is not going to keep up but in my experience i can get at least a couple of one-hour solo dives between charges. Carrying it through surf is much less daunting that the Blacktip.

As i mentioned it's been very reliable whereas my Blacktip has been very glitchy and customer support has been disappointing.

I am no machinist but I built a compass/computer mount out of aluminum stock that fits in front of the handle. There is some magnetic deviation from the motor but it is close enough for my purposes.
Prop popped off without my buddy realizing it, low viz, sank to the bottom, never to be seen again. 4th dive, ~$250 for what is considered a consumable item

Pictures of the compass mount, please! I suggested my buddy use some mu metal for shielding, but lowest quantity price was still too expensive

Pictures of the compass mount, please!
Here's some pics. Redneck engineering for the win! This is 1/8" aluminum stock from HD. I tried to build a second one and it kept cracking at the extreme bends. I guess it was a more brittle batch.

Another useful mod was putting a rubber bike handlebar grip on the handle. Originally it was to make the handle thicker and easier to grip but it also provides a friction lock for the trigger, so i have cruise control.

Aquaprops have limitations but if you can live with them they are a useful tool. I won't disagree that Blacktips are way more fun.

Attachments

• 20211027_092449.jpg
    20211027_092449.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 124
  • 20211027_092508.jpg
    20211027_092508.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 20211027_092513.jpg
    20211027_092513.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 130
Used my Blacktip a "fair" amount with the 9AH DeWalt batteries. Never even dropped to two lights on the batteries. Admittedly it is for hooning around on a wreck and not for serious distances.

Given that the 9AH batteries are half the price of their 12AH brethren, just use the 9's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom