Aquaman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
I got around to watching Aquaman last night. Before I say anything else, I don’t want to hear jack about decompression obligations, water clarity Russian submarine designs or any anything related to fetishization of tech diving gear (other areas of fetishization are allowed.....).

Aquaman was one the seminal cartoons of my youth. Despite the terrible animation and metro-sexualized super hero, I loved the idea of being able to breath underwater and riding a giant seahorse. A couple of shows/movies really sparked my desire to become a dive. Star Trek was one. I realized diving was as close as I was ever going to get to outer space. JYC and flipper were also there, for pretty obvious reasons. Charlie’s Angels and The Deep, also for pretty obvious reasons....

This movie was a pretty fun retelling of the original cartoon. The plot was just as thin, but Jason Momoa got rid of the metro-sexualization of Aquaman, ditching Aqua-lad helped, too. What was it with creepily young side kicks in that era? Aqua-lad, Robin, Jimmy Olsen, I know it was a much more closeted time, but what was it with the repeated homoerotic subtext? I was always rooting for the female sidekicks to show up (thank god for Batgirl). Anyway, Mera was a pretty pretty good Aqua-lad replacement. This was not high art, but it did bring back a few fond memories of afternoons wasted in front of the TV.

What did you guy& gals think?

I watched Aquaman on the plane on the way down to Florida last week. I imagine I lost quite a bit on the small iphone 6 screen, but I found it to be within the confines of what I expect from a movie- solid acting, dazzling special effects and most importantly nothing blatently stupid on the part of the characters or in the plot to bring my head out of the "virtual reality environment" and leave me shaking my head.

It's a good middle of the road movie that delivers.

I watched Aquaman on the plane on the way down to Florida last week. I imagine I lost quite a bit on the small iphone 6 screen, but I found it to be within the confines of what I expect from a movie- solid acting, dazzling special effects and most importantly nothing blatently stupid on the part of the characters or in the plot to bring my head out of the "virtual reality environment" and leave me shaking my head.

It's a good middle of the road movie that delivers.
Basically, my thoughts, too. Low expectations well met.

I grew up reading Aquaman comics that had him with a beard, long hair, and a hook hand, so didn't have the metrosexual context, but I really enjoyed this film. A lot of dumb fun, and the abyssal swarm sequence gave me chills - it felt like it was plucked out of a horror movie.

I couldn't help but cringe every time the villain asked people to call him "Ocean Master" like a petulant five-year-old, but it was just as dorky as the comics, I guess!

I loved the idea of being able to breath underwater and riding a giant seahorse.

And don't forget the ability to telepathically call up fish.

The chick was hot, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom