Aqualung reg problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My family primarily dives Aqualung regs and have been happy with them. In the past year (well, before covid), I have had two second stages develop holes or tears in the diaphragm and a three second stages have counterbalance cylinders go bad, I am told due to wear.

These problems have appeared on or getting ready for dive trips, typically to locations where repairs and parts are not available. Both of the problems I mention render the second stage unusable.

Most of these regs are 5-10 years old, get serviced fairly often, treated with care and rinsed after every dive.
Although they have otherwise been great, I am losing confidence in them. I have started taking spare second stages with me on trips, which is probably prudent anyway, but only in the past year of use have these failures started and I have had three cylinders and two diaphragms replaced. When the first diaphragm needed replacing I was told it was unusual to see a tear in one.

So I guess my question is whether anyone has meaningful suggestions as to why this is happening/can it be prevented?

Thanks

Happy may be correct, did these have problems before these worn and torn parts were discovered?

What model(s) of 2nd stage, how often are they being serviced and how are you rinsing them?
It could also be a practice followed in the shop that is damaging stuff, such as soaking a diaphragm in an improper solution, excessive UV exposure or even a poor run of components when built.

My money is on a combination of what @happy-diver and @Cdncoldwater said. As lex mentioned, the main indicator is whether they had a problem going into service or not. A torn diaphragm would have flooded the reg (or at minimum breathed super wet).... If it didn't do that before service I would suspect the damage happened at the shop.
Respectfully,
James

Thank you for the suggestions. In response to the questions, in each case the problem arose when the second stage malfunctioned on a dive or when checking gear prior to a dive trip. The regs get serviced more or less every couple of years, depending a bit on extent of use and scheduling of trips. The second stages are Aqualung Legends and Titans . Generally I try to test a reg in a pool after a service and before a dive trip, although sometimes I just connect to a tank to check it out. Yes, the diaphragm problems caused the reg to flood and the cylinder problems caused freeflow.

No cockroaches.

Almost all diving is salt water.

Regs get soaked or rinsed immediately post-dive as much as possible on a dive trip. After a trip they sit for hours in water. One thing I have wondered about is that in some locations, the dive op procedure is that regs stay on the tank at the end of the dive day and the crew is supposed to rinse them. I think it may be questionable how well or soon the regs get rinsed in those situations. On some small boats there is no real opportunity to rinse the regs between the first and second dive and in some locations, the regs will sit un-rinsed for an hour or more between dives or on the way back to shore. In all situations, if i can, I will at least try to rinse the second stages post-dive, but sometimes that is not an option. I hesitate to mention this because I don't really want to see the thread get bogged down in the "no one touches my regs but me" discussion, as opposed to trying to figure out what is likely causing the problems.

Absent manufacturing flaws, these diaphragms are generally good for decades. Like all rubber products, they are heat sensitive. Some of the newer diaphragms of silicone are quite delicate n and subject to puncture with any mishandling. But both older and newer Aqualung Titan/ Legend diaphragms are quite sturdy.

The counterbalance chambers are impervious to wear. If properly lubricated, the oring friction does literally nothing to them. I have 35 year old balance chambers working just fine.
But again, the one sensitivity is heat. Baked in hot sun, the plastic chamber can deform, and the oring will no longer seal.

My suggestion? Get all new diaphragms and new balance chambers and maybe a spare diaphragm for a trip. Then take them back diving for another decade.

My family primarily dives Aqualung regs and have been happy with them. In the past year (well, before covid), I have had two second stages develop holes or tears in the diaphragm and a three second stages have counterbalance cylinders go bad, I am told due to wear.

These problems have appeared on or getting ready for dive trips, typically to locations where repairs and parts are not available. Both of the problems I mention render the second stage unusable.

Most of these regs are 5-10 years old, get serviced fairly often, treated with care and rinsed after every dive.
Although they have otherwise been great, I am losing confidence in them. I have started taking spare second stages with me on trips, which is probably prudent anyway, but only in the past year of use have these failures started and I have had three cylinders and two diaphragms replaced. When the first diaphragm needed replacing I was told it was unusual to see a tear in one.

So I guess my question is whether anyone has meaningful suggestions as to why this is happening/can it be prevented?

Thanks
I have never heard of the balance chambers going bad.. The ones on the legends are sturdy as hell. Oh yeah I have tore through a diaphragm or two by accident, they are pretty delicate.

Orrr your dive shop is putting your diaphragms in very strong ultrasonic solutions. I've seen it happen before...

Okay. It sounds to me like it could be heat while baking on a boat deck and/or problems with the shop. I will follow RSingler's advice on an across-the-board replacement of the parts in question and I think I will find someone new to service the regs, just in case.

I will also start protecting the regs from heat while on the boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom