Aqualung Mistral info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big fish63

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anybody used or is using the Aqualung Mistral? i like the idea of the exhaust being at the rear as it would get rid of the bubbles when filming, they also market it as being quieter, so you can get closer to your subject. But i've heard they can be difficult to breathe or even freeflow on negative entrys when you have to go head first to the bottom quickly? Anyone have any info are they a gimic or are they worth the money?

Depends.....if you are talking about the new version, it's not worth the price, the one from the 50s and 60s is a great DH reg. The modern one was a poorly though out kludge of a regulator, even those who dive DH regs did not care for it. The hoses are rebreather hoses, way to large and floaty for a DH and the main cans were too small to be effective. It's a pity AL did not just put the old style hoses and mouthpiece on a Mentor body(DH reg sold to the US Navy in the early 2000's but never offered to the public), that reg might have sold.
The going rate on eBay is in the upper $400's to low $500s. For that price you can find a good DA Aquamaster and have it rebuilt with all new parts and have a Phoenix mod installed. Then you will have a first class DH hose reg, perfect for the diving you are wanting a DH reg for. A Phoenix is my go to reg for any diving that I don't have to be with students. All that said, they do require a slightly different diving technique to get the most out of them and forget using most modern BCs with any DH reg, they are picky about reg placement and do require a different diving style, still, I prefer a DH to any other reg. With the renewed interest in DH regs and with parts becoming easy to get, the skunkworks at Vintage Double Hose has recently released a back plate that is designed specifically to be used with DH regs and a bladder for it is going to be released soon (Zeagle bladders will work as well).
Bottom line, the new Mistral is an insult to it's name sake, don't bother with it if you really want a DH reg. If you are still interested in a double hose reg, this is what I suggest. Find someone local that actually dives the regs on a regular basis and really understands how to dive them. Spend some time learning how a DH reg works and how to dive one properly. Then if you want one, find a good DA and have it restored and converted to a Phoenix. Most people do not like double hose regs unless they take the time and effort to learn how to properly dive a double hose. Slapping it on a modern BC and heading out will almost certainly end with you not liking it, with proper training and a proper BC, you may find you prefer them as many of us do.

Here is a recent thread on VDH that you may find interesting. Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Jonathan Bird's Blue World

They're okay....not really what most would have wanted when they decided to bring back the double hose idea.
Better choice would be a DAM with a Phoenix conversion or a RAM.
The key to using a double hose is to get the stage(s) or can as close to the lungs as possible and this means mounting low on the tank....the new Mistral is a bit too bulky to do this.

I saw one of these in a shop 4 years ago for $900. It finally sold for $350 and was still overpriced based on the buyers opinion. But he had a nice tax refund and said what the hell. It's more of a conversation piece now.

Just did a google search and while aqualung will not sell the mentor to the public they will put the manual on line for anyone! Probably because we are paying for it with our tax dollars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom