Aqualung Micro Mask reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I heard about the new Micro Mask yesterday while at the LDS, but they didn't have any in stock just yet. I've looked at it on Aqualung's website, and the idea sounds pretty good, but has anyone here on the board tried them yet? I'm just wondering how much more of a field of view you'll get with the glass really close to your eyes, vs. a standard low volume mask. What's the MSRP?

Brian

I recently bought one (MSRP about $115.00) after loosing my Atomic and I love the seal as well as the low volume. Of the Mares, Tusa and Atomic masks I've had the in past few years, it's easily my favorite.

Steve

The LDS actually just got some in today, so I bought one. $92 - trade in on the mask I had just bought from them but only used once.

All in all, I really like it... it is in fact micro, but still looks good, and was comfortable. I was a bit worried it might not fit well over my somewhat high nose bridge, but there were no problems. There is definitely a noticeable increase in peripheral vision compared to past masks, especially looking down, but I wouldn't say it was significant. I didn't remove and replace it, but I can imagine with the super low volume, it will take just a puff of air to clear it out.

Now what I've been wondering lately is, how come most standard scuba masks have the glass in 1 flat plane? It seems like each lens could be angled away slightly from eachother, giving the wearer even more peripheral vision while keeping the low volume.

guess I'll have to wait until the dive store gets one in... a big nose and a beard have their challenges!! No matter what mask I wear I get a big red dot on the end of my hooter!:lotsalove:

I bought one last year as soon as they came out. Actually bought it for my son (he was 10 years old) when he was getting his open water card. I tried it out in our pool and went and got another. Will be getting the the new pink one for my daughter as soon as I find one.
I have around 40 dives on this mask and love it. Made 7 dives last weekend in 68 degree water and no fogging.

I will say it takes a couple of tries with the toothpaste to get it clean enough to not fog. After that a bit of spit is all it takes.

... I will say it takes a couple of tries with the toothpaste to get it clean enough to not fog...

I'll second that! It took some major scrubbing to get rid of the residue (from Mfg. processes), but it will come off and then there are no more issues. Don't know how easy it'll be to clear yet, as mine hasn't leaked at all. I'll have to flood mine soon just for giggles.

I finally got my daughter one. But not the pink. She decided she didn't like it and instead she wanted the blue. Of course it was sold out. SO I gave her my blue and got a blck (with clear skirt) for me. So I guess I've got another mask to scrub.

Also, got an e-mail from Aqualung today. The venerable Ventura and Ventura Midi will soon return to the US market. For those not familiar with the Ventura Midi, it is a single window small face mask. I dove one since I got certified in 96. I still keep one in my bag.

I bought one of these a couple of months ago and can say that I truly love it. This was a great purchase. My wife is going to become certified in the next couple of months and I had her try it out and she is going to go with this one as well. It is very comfortable. I gave the toothpaste one round which seemed to do the trick.

Question: Do people generally prefer the all black (no light in from the sides) or the clear on the sides models? I have the clear side model but would think that perhaps not having any ambient light coming in from the sides may actually be preferable.

I just dove Monterey (CA) with a DM who has one of these and gave it a shot when we got back to the shot. I'll be getting one as soon as I get home because I believe it will solve a problem I have with my TUSA Visulator (it fits my face great, but when I pur my reg in my mouth it leaks at the sides om my nose and cheeks because of the mask's height).

In terms of silicone color, I like black for two reason: first, it reduces the glare when diving/snorkeling and second, the silicone doesn't discolor (visibly) over time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom