Aqualung Lip Guard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmps

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have narrowed my choices of a new reg down to either the Aqualung Legend or Titan. I plan to do only warm (above 50F) water diving but may do some colder diving since I live in Chicago. I like the idea of a environmently sealed first stage and have read quite a bit on earlier threads on this. My question is about the "lip guard" on the Supreme regs.

If I get a Titan LX Supreme to get a sealed first stage then it comes with the lip quard. I saw someone say that it initially makes it feel like the reg is falling out of your mouth. Since it isn't of any use in warm water I was thinking of just getting a Titan LX with the environment kit. Is this silly since it would cost more? I hate to buy a new Reg and then have to pay to get a new mouthpiece right away.

I may also spring for a Legend. If I did I am thinking of just a straight Legend not an LX to get a better reg at not much more cost than a Titan LX since it is already sealed. Is the breathing effort adjustment really worth it in addition to venturi adjustment? I have read that most people don't really use them and suspect a lot of this is feature creep. Thanks Scubaboard!

jmps:
I have narrowed my choices of a new reg down to either the Aqualung Legend or Titan. I plan to do only warm (above 50F) water diving but may do some colder diving since I live in Chicago. I like the idea of a environmently sealed first stage and have read quite a bit on earlier threads on this. My question is about the "lip guard" on the Supreme regs.

If I get a Titan LX Supreme to get a sealed first stage then it comes with the lip quard. I saw someone say that it initially makes it feel like the reg is falling out of your mouth. Since it isn't of any use in warm water I was thinking of just getting a Titan LX with the environment kit. Is this silly since it would cost more? I hate to buy a new Reg and then have to pay to get a new mouthpiece right away.

I may also spring for a Legend. If I did I am thinking of just a straight Legend not an LX to get a better reg at not much more cost than a Titan LX since it is already sealed. Is the breathing effort adjustment really worth it in addition to venturi adjustment? I have read that most people don't really use them and suspect a lot of this is feature creep. Thanks Scubaboard!

The lip guard is just a bit of rubber that you can easily remove without replacing the mouth piece. You don't need it in warm water and even in cold water it's just a nice-to-have. I have Legend LX supreme and I hardly ever "fiddle" with the controls while I'm diving. YYMV.

The Titan LX is a good reg too but it doesn't have the cracking adjustment of the Legend LX. For most diving either one will do just fine.

R..

Diver0001:
The lip guard is just a bit of rubber that you can easily remove without replacing the mouth piece. You don't need it in warm water and even in cold water it's just a nice-to-have. I have Legend LX supreme and I hardly ever "fiddle" with the controls while I'm diving. YYMV.

The Titan LX is a good reg too but it doesn't have the cracking adjustment of the Legend LX. For most diving either one will do just fine.

R..

Thanks for the info. I hadn't realized that the lip guard was a removable piece from the mouthpiece.

I have one, In my case when I had it on in the pool. It made the Reg. feel like it wasn't secure in my mouth. So I took it off, no big deal. Where I dive in Monterey CA, the water temp. will be in the low 50F, & I've never felt the need to put it on. The mouthpiece it pretty nice for either of those regs., it has a nice little cut out for your teeth, so your teeth hold it in place, & you don't get jaw fatigue.

I will echo what everyone else said. I bought two Legend LX Supremes. You can just remove the lip guard, using the mouthpiece that comes with the regulator if you want. You can even replace the mouthpiece completely with a standard or moldable type mouthpiece if you want. That's what I did, and I have been diving mine for two years now. Great regs! :wink:

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess whether I get the Titan LX Supreme or the Legend is up to how flush I feel when I go to buy. :) I hope a rebate on the Legend comes along like there was last year!

Has anyone used the lip shield in cold water? Does it actually help to keep your lips warm? In Southern Alberta Canada we get some pretty cold dive sites and my lips get pretty cold thought this was a nice feature would like to hear some feedback on that.

I have and use it in cold water and I feel it helps a lot when diving in cold water. And it's easy to just push forward during the dive if you feel it's to warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom