aqualung legend vs LX vs legend supreme.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am a bit confused as to the difference between these two. The only difference is that the Legend has tow 2nd stage adjustment knobs and the LX has one. I don't' see how the LX knob can control both the venturi effect and the ease of air flow. Can anyone explain that please.

The supreme has a lip around the mouth piece for cold water diving, Is this really something desirable and how cold is cold for this to be of help. I'll probably never dive below 60 degrees F.

Finally, this comfo-bite mouth piece, has any one used it and like/disliked it? I tried a mouth piece that rode up on my hard pallet a long time ago and got an ulcer that was very painful.

Thanks

the lx adjustment knob controls both the venturi and the balance adjustment at the same time. just think of it as turning both the adjustment screw and venturi level together.

i find the lip shield helpful below 50F.

lots of people like the comfobite. i have it on all my regs, even the non apeks/aqualung ones.

personally, look at the xtx50/dst instead or even the glacia.

The Supreme versions have a sealed first stage and the lip shield on the second stage. At 60 degrees your not really going to need it, although some people do like it. The Legend has one knob for venturi only. The Legend LX has that "Master Breathing System" where the one knob controls both functions. I cannot find a recent enough service manual to figure out how they do it.

The AL Comfobite is excellent. I prefer the AL version to the Apeks version, and have switched out to the AL version on my Apeks regs.

The Supreme versions have a sealed first stage

the new revision of the legends all come dry sealed as standard. The MBS doesn't look as effective to me as having the venturi and adjustment knob separated, but I don't have numbers on the cracking adjustment range and venturi flow for the MBS vs the Glacia.

upload_2019-4-17_16-4-56.png

In the Aqualung line up, anything labelled Supreme is intended for use in water temps below 50°.
The one exception is the Glacia, which is designed for extreme cold water and was discontinued this year.

If you will only dive 60° and warmer, you have no need for Supreme and especially not for Glacia. But there is no downside to getting Supreme if you like.

On current generation Legend 1st stage, the only difference between LX and LX Supreme is chrome finish on the LX and satin finish on the LX Supreme. Previous generation required setting a lower IP for the Supreme, but that is no longer the case. If the LUX catches your eye, that 1st stage has a PVD coating.

On the Supreme 2nd stage, the body/case has a different part number but the only difference I am aware of is the snowflake printed on it. It is also described as "coated" but I am told there are no special cold water properties to that coating. Also the exhaust valve is a different part number, I believe it is probably a little stiffer. The minor price difference between the two is pretty much just accounting for the lip shield.

The ComfoBite mouthpiece is comfortable and popular, but if you find you dislike it you can either cut of the top portion, or switch it with the octo mouthpiece that does not include that arch for the roof of your mouth.

And yes, the MBS control on the LX adjusts both the Venturi and the cracking pressure simultaneously, and works well.

I have a 1st gen Legend, bought in 2011.
Maybe I am just looking for a justification to buy a new one... cuz I think they look reeeeallly good.

Can anyone tell me if there is noticable difference between the 1st and 3rd gen Legend? Or is it really only down to the looks of it... and maybe the MBS that mine doesn't have. Mine is equipped only with the Ventury control - which was perfectly fine so far. Did not have a situation where I felt the need to change the cracking pressure in order to suck harder on the mouthpiece.

My second question is about the intermediate pressure. Am I correct assuming that also for the 1st gen's AL is meanwhile recommending to set the IP lower in order to prevent freezing? Or should the old gens remain at the higher setting?

mbs is just combining the cracking adjustment and venturi together. you aren't going to see a huge difference in performance. the 125 psi vs 135 psi IP is more personal preference, although care should be taken to retune the 2nd also when doing so.

What do you mean with personal preference? I shouldn't really feel a difference in breathing comfort whether set to 125 or 135, should I?
They claim it protects against freezing in the second stage as the pressure gradient is lower the gas will not cool down as much when decompressed to ambient.

But after all... Latest Legend do not really have a breathing / comfort advantage over the older ones? Except for MBS (if one likes it), angeled ports and the looks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom