Aqualung Legend MBS for rec and maybe tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VA_Jim

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question for the more experienced divers who dive doubles. I'm an advanced diver who will be diving in excess of 100ft off the Outer Banks of NC. I'm seriously considering the purchase of an Aqualung Legend MBS from my LDS. I am only a rec diver at the moment but if I decide to graduate to doubles one day I'm wondering if the Legend would still be a good choice. I want a reg that will 'grow' with me so to speak. I don't want to find myself regretting the purchase should I decide to dive doubles and venture into the tech realm. Will the new Legends work for diving doubles and maybe growing into the Tec area?

Thanks!

Go with the DIN version and you should have no issue going tech.

The other standard recommendations for "tech" type regulators seem to be based on port configuration for hose routing and self-serviceability more than anything else. If you want to get into servicing your regs yourself you might find it a pain to get service kits for Aqualung regulators. Other than that, it is a balanced diaphragm 1st stage and a balance 2nd stage type setup. I think will have a hard time pushing most any regulator to its limit so I don't think you need to worry about it "growing" with you, and I don't think you will regret the decision...unless you want to service them yourself in the near or distant future.

-Z

If you're going to back-mounted doubles, skip the Legend. Get the Apeks DST/XTX50 and have the 5th port installed. The Legend MBS costs $800 per Aqua Lung's website. DRIS sells the DST/XTX50 for $600.00. Add the 5th port for $80-$100 and at $700.00 you'll have a regulator that everyone in the tech diving community will recommend for performance and reliability with optimum hose routing. To boot, you'll have saved $100.00.

The Apeks DST first stage with the 5th Port provides optimum hose routing for back-mounted doubles. I have breathed off a DST/XTX50 and an Aqua Lung Legend. Could not tell a difference. Both breathes smoothly & easily.

If you really like the shape and dimensions of the Legend first stage, get the Apeks XTX200 with the FST first stage. At least you can add the 5th port that first stage and will provide better house routing for your back-mounted doubles. Not sure what first stages work best for side mounting, perhaps a member that uses the SM configuration can chime in on this.

If you're going to back-mounted doubles, skip the Legend. Get the Apeks DST/XTX50 and have the 5th port installed. The Legend MBS costs $800 per Aqua Lung's website. DRIS sells the DST/XTX50 for $600.00. Add the 5th port for $80-$100 and at $700.00 you'll have a regulator that everyone in the tech diving community will recommend for performance and reliability with optimum hose routing. To boot, you'll have saved $100.00.

The Apeks DST first stage with the 5th Port provides optimum hose routing for back-mounted doubles. I have breathed off a DST/XTX50 and an Aqua Lung Legend. Could not tell a difference. Both breathes smoothly & easily.

If you really like the shape and dimensions of the Legend first stage, get the Apeks XTX200 with the FST first stage. At least you can add the 5th port that first stage and will provide better house routing for your back-mounted doubles. Not sure what first stages work best for side mounting, perhaps a member that uses the SM configuration can chime in on this.

What he said ^^^^^

Thanks! This is helpful and I'll check out the Apeks. My LDS Iis running a sale on the Legend so I'll need to decide soon.

I also didn't think about side mount but as I get older that might be easier on my back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom