Aqualung Legend LX First Stage Failure at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The part is $15.00. I am not sure what the installation will run.
If they say it took longer than 15 minutes, be skeptical, lol!
More important (and it may be politically delicate), ask them to show you their 3mm torque wrench attachment. That's the key to making this fix safely, and it's an uncommon tool.

Thanks for that info. My guess (and it is just a guess, but based on experience) is that I will be told that the shop wants to do a complete service at the same time, so I will end up paying for that. I am not sure I can get away with asking about the wrench (politically) but the tech is the shop owner and uses an Aqulung Legend himself, so i suspect he has what he needs and knows what he is doing.

I understand. Well, maybe in an offhand manner say, "We're on the same page with this 27-inch-pound thing, right?"
If he says, "27 inch-pounds?" then maybe press harder about the safety bulletin. Twenty seven inch pounds is the required counterclockwise torque on the new ridged shutter valve.

On the other matter, unless it's been longer than the service interval, there's zero reason to have to have another complete service, if your intermediate pressure is stable and in spec. This part replacement is not "internal". It's all outside the regulator mechanism, and it's just inside the yoke retainer.

I understand. Well, maybe in an offhand manner say, "We're on the same page with this 27-inch-pound thing, right?"
If he says, "27 inch-pounds?" then maybe press harder about the safety bulletin.

On the other matter, unless it's been longer than the service interval, there's zero reason to have to have another complete service, if your intermediate pressure is stable and in spec. This part replacement is not "internal". It's all outside the regulator mechanism, and it's just inside the yoke retainer.
To level set expectations of reasonableness, when the service bulletin came out for checking torque a couple years ago, there was no expectation of also performing a complete overhaul. Just break it down enough to snug it up.

Changing the part does require a bit more breakdown, but not much. Should probably change 2 o-rings involved also.

Now, if someone brought me a set in sad shape, or overdue for service, I would not want to change just one part and have someone point the finger at me if there was a failure later on.

If they say it took longer than 15 minutes, be skeptical, lol!
More important (and it may be politically delicate), ask them to show you their 3mm torque wrench attachment. That's the key to making this fix safely, and it's an uncommon tool.

Pics please:poke:

I will see what he says. I may be outside the suggested service interval, but I think I had them gone over last summer sometime. I would need to check.

I am fairly confident he is aware of the correct torque requirement and has the appropriate tools, but I will talk to him about it and make sure. Out of curiosity, are you referring to an actual torque wrench or a torque screwdriver?

Some torque screwdrivers don't go as high as 27 in-lb. This is a simple 3/8" attachment to a standard torque wrench.
Pic is in Post #188

Back
Top Bottom