Aqualung Leg3nd Elite or Atomic ST1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Averagecanuck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm an experienced diver. Strictly cold water in Canada and U.S.
Which one would you go with and why?

Aqualung Leg3nd Elite with Octopus Set
or
Atomic ST1 & Atomic T2 Octupus

I prefer Apeks and AquaLung.

My single tank set is the now discontinued AL Legend LX Supreme. Use it heavily on the Great Lakes. Works just fine.

Nothing beats the Atomic for ease of breathing and the ST-1 is a sealed piston, suitable for cold water diving. The M-1 might be a bit more optimal.

Whats even better is all their first stages use the same service kits and all their second stages with the exception os the one that is combined with the power inflator uses the same service kits as well.

Nothing beats the Atomic for ease of breathing and the ST-1 is a sealed piston, suitable for cold water diving. The M-1 might be a bit more optimal
ST-1 will get the job done, no doubt. M1 gets the extra heat sink on the 2nd stage for colder water duty. Bigger issue is the cost. ST1 just doesn't seem to offer any bang for the buck over the M1 which is better(marginally) suited for the cold anyway.

I would go ST 1, corrosion resistance is the biggest advantage over the M1.

AquaLung Leg3nd Elite - $899.00
AquaLung Leg3nd Octopus - $250 (second stage is different than the elite)
Total Cost - $1149.00

Atomic ST1 - $999.00
Atomic Ti2 Otopus - $349.00
Total Cost - $1348.00

Apeks XTX200 - $799.00
Apeks XTX50 Octopus - $270 (same as the XTX200 second stage but has a different face plate)
Total Cost - $1069.00

Personally, if the AquaLung was the front runner, I would choose Apeks instead. It's essentially the same regulator with a different apperance. Since Apeks is part of the AquaLung group, the regulator qualifies for the Parts for Life Program, so service cost should be near identical. If you plan on going tech and into doubles, the ST1 provides better hose routing, but so does the less expensive Apeks XTX50.

The ST1 is a beautiful regulator (yup seen it in person). Price wise though, the M1 or the B2 represent better value than the ST1. In regards to performance, all these regulators breathe the same. You would need a machine to discern any difference. Choose based on ergonomics, hose routing, cost of service, price point and appearance (we have to look good underwater, right?).

Apeks > AquaLung > Atomic. All breathe the same, but you can get the Apeks at a better price point than the other two. If you do decide to use double backmounted tanks, you can install a 5th port into your XTX200 and still be cheaper than the ST1.

No one's mentioned the seat-saver feature of the Atomic. Any of the first stage brands can likely go three years without servicing. But among seconds, the Atomic is hands down a lower maintenance piece of equipment. I say that having serviced all three.

I have five year old ST-1s that still meet IP and the first is still in-tune. I credit the seat saver for the latter. Those regs will see less contact on their seat in a decade than the other mentioned brands will in a month sitting on the shelf.

Not to mention, the ST-1 has more corrosion resistant parts than either the Aqualung or the Apex.

While you pay more for an Atomic, you get more too.

That said, all three are excellent choices.

Either no one likes the Leg3nd Elite or no one has any experience with it because it's so new. No one has mentioned anything about the Elite.....Atomic is great no one denies that but does this 2019 Elite design stack up, do better than....I just don't know...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom