Aqualung i300C vs. Oceanic Veo 4.0?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first computer and am hoping for some advice/guidance. I think I've narrowed it down to:
  • Aqua Lung i300C ($300 on LeisurePro)
  • Oceanic Veo 4.0 ($330 on LeisurePro).
For reference: I'm a relatively inexperienced diver (1-2 dive vacations per year, 3-7 days of diving during those vacations), have my AOW cert, am thinking of getting Nitrox cert, but don't want to get into tec diving or anything super challenging.

I chose these largely for a combination of affordability, readability, backlight (I want to do some night diving), and more aggressive NDL limits, particularly since I do a lot of repetitive diving. I know everyone here loves Shearwater Perdix/Teric/etc. but I think it's overkill for me and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Thoughts?

FWIW I have the i300c. It’s my first and only, so I have nothing to compare. I find it easy enough to use, does everything I want it to do. No regrets buying it.

I know a lot of people who love the i300. My LDS uses them for the rental. Did you look at an air integrated computer? Like the i550C. I use the i450T. But that’s wrist mounted. But I’m a big fan of air integration personally

They are going to be very, very similar from a software perspective since they are both made by Pelagic Pressure Systems. The real difference is going to be size. The Aqualung is a traditional puck computer in a rubber boot that will take up a respectable amount of space in your wrist. The Geo is big watch. Which you prefer is up to you.

I've had a Geo 2.0 for something like 8 years and it's never given me a problem. My wife dives a Veo 2.0 which is basically the previous version of the i300c, before Aqualung bought PPS. They both do what they are supposed to do and are easy enough to use.

I know a lot of people who love the i300. My LDS uses them for the rental. Did you look at an air integrated computer? Like the i550C. I use the i450T. But that’s wrist mounted. But I’m a big fan of air integration personally

Great to hear.

I briefly looked at AIs but don't own (and don't plan to buy) any other gear so thought it might be kind of a waste. As much as I'd love to have that and a digital compass, that really drives the price up for a computer. With how rarely I have the opportunity to dive, I thought it was probably not worth the investment and that a fairly simple wrist mount would be my best bet. (Also from what everyone is saying here, if I'm going to spring that much $$ for a computer, might as well buy a used Perdix :p)

They are going to be very, very similar from a software perspective since they are both made by Pelagic Pressure Systems. The real difference is going to be size. The Aqualung is a traditional puck computer in a rubber boot that will take up a respectable amount of space in your wrist. The Geo is big watch. Which you prefer is up to you.

I've had a Geo 2.0 for something like 8 years and it's never given me a problem. My wife dives a Veo 2.0 which is basically the previous version of the i300c, before Aqualung bought PPS. They both do what they are supposed to do and are easy enough to use.

The difference in size is why I want the Veo over the Geo - I don't have a prescription mask and usually dive in contacts, but if something happens to them I wanted something nice and big and easy to see. Are there any other differences that I should be aware of?

My main hesitation for the Veo is seeing posts saying AL customer service, warranty and reliability is way better than Oceanic's and that Oceanic's quality control is lacking? Perhaps now that PPS owns both that will no longer be the case?

PPS has always made the PCs for Oceanic (and several other dive gear brands). I can't speak to customer services issues of the 4 PPS computers we've had in the past 12ish years, none had any issues.

Comparing my Geo and (wife's) Veo, they are actually really close in size from a screen and "numbers on screen" perspective. when I attempt to measure the middle row of numbers on each, I get 9mm for the Geo and 10mm for the Veo. Granted this comparison is against older models of each - I couldn't tell you if my Geo 2.0 digits display is exactly the same size as a 4.0. Your best bet is to try and see them in person.Personally, I prefer the smaller body of a dedicated watch style. PC. Puck PCs in wrist boots are very tall.

Functionally, you're getting 2 more buttons with the Geo, which give you "forward","backward","enter/select" and "backlight". i300 is a 2 button model so you only have "forward" and "enter/select". Assuming the i300 works like the Veo, the "enter" button serves double duty as the "backlight" button when it's dark. I like my back button but a 2 button interface is easy enough to deal with.

Geo has dual algorithm. DSAT is the same as PADI tables and the most liberal out there. PZ+, I assume is basically the same as the i300 Z+. I THINK this is generally considered middle-of-the-road.

Not sure what other differences there may be that are actually relevant.

Here they are side-by-side with an attempt to hold the Geo face even with the Veo face to avoid as much camera distortion as possible
32753790787_6650f4f463_b.jpg

Comparing my Geo and (wife's) Veo
View attachment 516381

This has been really informative and helpful, thank you for taking the time to write this up and take the pictures and measurements! Really appreciate the insight.

Based on this, leaning towards the Veo (despite the lack of two additional buttons just because it's $70 cheaper), but I'm going to take your suggestion and try to make it to a dive shop this weekend so I can compare all three options and see what's changed from the 2.0 to 4.0. Thanks so much!!

This has been really informative and helpful, thank you for taking the time to write this up and take the pictures and measurements! Really appreciate the insight.

Based on this, leaning towards the Veo (despite the lack of two additional buttons just because it's $70 cheaper), but I'm going to take your suggestion and try to make it to a dive shop this weekend so I can compare all three options and see what's changed from the 2.0 to 4.0. Thanks so much!!

I would also recommend calling LeisurePro and asking their price - they usually give a decent discount but can't advertise it due to MAP rules

You may also want to look at the Geo 2 as it is on close out at Leisurepro for $269.95. I have the older i300 for backup and the Geo 2 for primary. The 4 button design is easier to maneuver and the DSAT algorithm is less conservative than the PZ+ that Aqualung uses.

The advantage of the i300c is going to be the Bluetooth for downloading but that, if I understand correctly, is only if you are planning on using the dive log program that is available through Aqualung. You won’t be able to use Bluetooth with other programs like Subsurface, you’ll need the download cable in that case.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom