Aqualung fusion bullet drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryansmith209

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone, I'm still relatively new to scuba diving but im in the market for a dry suit. Doing some research and the avaible brands at my local dive shops, it seems that the aqualung fusion bullet drysuit is the best choice based on what ill eventually be doing. Which will be wreck diving. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this drysuit and what your opinions are on it.
51OtAOtc5mL._AC_SL1084_.jpg

I have one (Tech" not "Bullet" version although I am looking for a Bullet skin to have the option) and happen to like it.

Although I'm still quite new to drysuit diving, I really appreciate that the skin keeps it dynamically conforming regardless of undergarments or position and the fact that my top half is typically a size larger than my bottom half. Other's (calling @Marie13 ) find the zipper construction/placement and the replaceable-seal neck ring to be detrimental to her comfort and flexibility and she just took delivery of a more standard DUI trilam suit. @Zef has written quite a bit about his - mostly complementary. If you search on "Fusion" and their screen names, you will find much more detail.

In the end, you'll really need to try it on at minimum, with a full rig-on if possible, and better yet a try-dive or pool-session to really start to get a feel for it. I went in educated but unable to even try one, and got lucky that it seems to work well for me.

The SiTech Oval replaceable wrist-seal rings allow you to use several different Dry-glove systems. I very happily use the Waterproof Ultima rings with Showa 720 gloves which seem to be the ScubaBoard favorite, but the new Rolock90 ring system is getting a lot of favorable reviews. With just the Showa 720s and a very thin merino liner, I'm quite comfortable in the low 50s. Dry hands are so much more comfortable.

Mine is one of the new generation "AirCore" versions and I got one of the defective ones that came from a problematic switch to a production facility in Mexico. Mine had the worst leakage that I heard of and I was soaked and pouring pints of water out after a dive. Aqua Lung moved the production back to the Whites (originator of the Fusion) facility in Canada and replaced the core under warranty. The new one has been fine. My suggestion is to be absolutely certain that you are getting a Canadian-made core if you are buying an AirCore (newer) version - note: the tagging can be very confusing.

If you have any other specific questions, ask away.

Do you happen to dive with the NYC Sea Gypsies? If so, maybe I'll see you on one of the trips next year.

My problem with the neck ring was that I’m narrow shouldered as many women are and as the neck ring covered most of my shoulders, I had very limited shoulder mobility. For most guys, that’s probably not an issue. The zipper placement was something I was never happy with. If you’re diving doubles it may interfere with shoulder mobility for valve shutdowns.

Highly recommend the Waterproof Ultima dry glove system.

Just so many better options available for retail cost on that suit.

I am not a believer that the Aqualung fusion suits are the best on the market, but I believe they are a great option in a few of circumstances:

1. When/if you are unsure of fit or are not in a position to try suits on (e.g., no local shop).

2. If your body morphology may be changing (e.g., you plan on gaining/losing weight). The cut of the suit and the outer skin adapts to body size within quite a range.

3. You are in between sizes for other brands and do not want to buy a made to measure suit or do not want to wait for one to be made and shipped.

I my oppinion, outside of the 3 issues above, the AL Fusion suits are no better or worse than anything else on the market.....I will add though that the conforming fit of the outer skin helps slow the movement of air in the suit which can have the effect of shortening the time it takes to learn how to dive a drysuit.

@Ryansmith209 if you have more questions or concerns, dont hesitate to ask here or direct message me.

-Z

Do you have any other suggestions of ones in that price range? I know another nearby shop offers DUI drysuits

DUI offers lower end drysuits in standard stock sizes (there are some custom options), but I know at least one person who has had recent issues with the plastic zipper. I just got my custom DUI FLX Extreme on Monday, but the $4K price tag is probably a lot more than you want to spend. A friend who is super hard on his gear and tech dives the Great Lakes has a Yukon II and hasn't had any issues (his does have a plastic zipper).

A lot of people here like the Seaskin suits from the UK. A common price quoted seems to be around $1500. They're custom suits with lots of options. You order direct from the manufacturer, who has no dealers in the US. That's a major negative for me. If something is wrong with the suit and it has to be sent back, it has to go to the UK. My suit would only have to be sent to California, plus it's made in the US, which is a huge plus for me. Not sure what the lead time is on the Seaskin suits. My DUI took 5-6 weeks. Another friend who ordered a few weeks ago was told his custom FLX Extreme should be delivered towards the end of January.

Certainly go to the DUI dealer in your area and talk to them. This is a link to the DUI online product catalog.
2020 DUI Gear Guide - web

Are you a hard size to fit? If you're on a budget, the Seaskin is probably your best bet. There are several threads on Seaskin suits, one quite long.

Do you have any other suggestions of ones in that price range? I know another nearby shop offers DUI drysuits
What’s msrp on a Fusion? $2500?

2x Seaskin fully decked out. Exchange rates vary, but mine was 900GBP w pee valve, Kubi rings, quick neck, and reinforcement in high wear areas. Otter Atlantic. Deep 6 Makara Custom Drysuit is another option made by Ursuit out of the EU. I’d wager you’ll be far happier with any of these options than a Fusion and only the Otter is remotely close to the price of one.

Fusion bullet msrp in the EU is 1600 euros.

Current fusion model has a plastic zipper. I personnaly do not think that is a good change, but perhaps others have a different opinion.

-Z

What’s msrp on a Fusion? $2500?

2x Seaskin fully decked out. Exchange rates vary, but mine was 900GBP w pee valve, Kubi rings, quick neck, and reinforcement in high wear areas. Otter Atlantic. Deep 6 Makara Custom Drysuit is another option made by Ursuit out of the EU. I’d wager you’ll be far happier with any of these options than a Fusion and only the Otter is remotely close to the price of one.
I would prefer a brand that i can get local and can be serviced locally if something needs to be repaired. Theres aqualung and DUI it seems are the main 2. My budget is up to 3500ish would prefer not to break the bank if I dont have to

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom