Aqualung Fusion boot hack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
When I sent my Fusion Bullet back to AL for warranty replacement I removed my Fusion boots and noted that the 2-inch wide velcro strip (hook side) had abraded the material of the suit's nylon sock-type feet. This is because the suit's feet only have a 1-inch wide strip of velcro (fuzzy side) running down the the back of it.

I just got my suit back right before Christmas (thank you AL), and wanted to protect the material of the new suit from becoming abraded. Even though AL told me that they changed the feet material to keep this from happening, I don't notice any difference in the fabric.

To protect the heels of the suit, I lined the sides of the 2-inch wide strip in the boots with some strips of fuzzy side velcro, overlapping the edges on the sides so that only @ 1-inch of the hook side was exposed down the middle.

The exposed 1-inch wide strip was plenty enough to easily line-up and securely attach the suit's feet. I am hoping this will work to preserve the suit material...I will check after a couple of months of diving to see if all is well.

Here are some pics:

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

-Z

I wonder if some felt strips might be better since the back side of the pile Velcro will be fairly abrasive also?

I wonder if some felt strips might be better since the back side of the pile Velcro will be fairly abrasive also?

I was thinking that as well but I am not sure if felt will retain water and develop a funk, especially if diving regularly in sea water, the boots themselves are not watertight.

I have some adhesive backed velcro...I can cut 4 strips and stick pairs of them together leaving the pile sides out (obviously). Perhaps that might be an enhanced solution.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom