For Sale Aqualung Backplate, Small 6" SS Bands, Manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Dawson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings,

The following are up for grabs:

Aqualung Backplate [7 out of 10]with all the hardware including the webbing [6 out of 10], all the SS plates and webbing retainers [8 out of 10]. The Aqualung sticker is mostly great...a scratch on the bottom [6,7 out of 10].

SS bands with the HW [7 out of 10] that I still need to clean up. It has the SS HW to match up to this or other backplate. This came with two LP 50 tanks, so about 5.5" or 6" diameter tanks. The threads are mostly good and the retainer plate and lever are great [7+ out of 10].

The manifold is the "suicide manifold". It is yoke, only one outlet, but has a metal knob which I have not seen before. It is in pretty good condition [6 out of 10].

The manifold also has the J valve :)

The tanks are dusty n have a bit of greasy parts but very little rust [like under the bands].

Free shipping to CONUS.

Please, make an offer if interested. Thanks :)

Attachments

• 20191215_160040.jpg
    20191215_160040.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 20191215_160046.jpg
    20191215_160046.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 20191215_160052.jpg
    20191215_160052.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 234
  • 20191215_160102.jpg
    20191215_160102.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 20191215_191718.jpg
    20191215_191718.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 283
  • 20191215_191724.jpg
    20191215_191724.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 288
  • 20191215_191747.jpg
    20191215_191747.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 225
No one, eh? I just saw these manifold and bands on Thunderball three nights ago!

I would prefer to not have these go into the garba...

You could, at least, try bartering with a dive shop for SOMETHING in exchange for a great store window fixture. I still get duped, by those kind of things in shop windows, into believing the owners are "old school" and know what they're doing.

But mainly, they just look cool and are almost relics.

Good advice :) Thanks!

I saw on Vintage Dive Forum some similar parts...not looking to retire off them...just hate to see them go to waste if someone wants them. I will ask around the local dive shops :)

Greetings,

The following are up for grabs:

Aqualung Backplate [7 out of 10]with all the hardware including the webbing [6 out of 10], all the SS plates and webbing retainers [8 out of 10]. The Aqualung sticker is mostly great...a scratch on the bottom [6,7 out of 10].

SS bands with the HW [7 out of 10] that I still need to clean up. It has the SS HW to match up to this or other backplate. This came with two LP 50 tanks, so about 5.5" or 6" diameter tanks. The threads are mostly good and the retainer plate and lever are great [7+ out of 10].

The manifold is the "suicide manifold". It is yoke, only one outlet, but has a metal knob which I have not seen before. It is in pretty good condition [6 out of 10].

The manifold also has the J valve :)

The tanks are dusty n have a bit of greasy parts but very little rust [like under the bands].

Free shipping to CONUS.

Please, make an offer if interested. Thanks :)

"The manifold is the "suicide manifold" - Why would you call this a "suicide manifold"?

I just heard that from some folks...it was because it only has one reg connection...so no redundancy.

I do not see it being and worse than diving a single tank, safety-wise, other than having more gas might allow for a deeper/longer dive...which can lead to more deco obligations...which if at that point you have a gear failure and need to surface ASAP, then you can get decompression illness.

But that is not the gear's fault, specifically.

Prices:

Backplate and harness: $20

SS Band: $40

Manifold: $40

OBO :)

What you have there is a set of STEEL Scuba tanks. STEEL tanks aren't like Aluminum tanks... You don't have to be afraid of old ones if they're hydrotested and inspected. Two x 53 cf is what I think they are if the working pressure is 1800 psi. They're most likely just as good as brand new steel tanks from XS Scuba that cost $300-$400 per tank. Get them hydro tested and inspected and they're just as good.

Suicide Manifold? That USD manifold is the most widely used twin tank manifold in the world... There are repair parts galore. And it has been proven time and time again... PLUS it has a valuable reserve valve. Yes it has one spot to connect your regulator... Just like all modern single tanks. Put your regulator with safe second, spg, and inflator on there and you're as redundant as 90+ % of all modern divers. Get your reserve valve functional and you're even MORE redundant. (PS Did you know reserve valves are used by many commercial divers for OSHA compliance? That's why XS is making modern reserve valves.)

Back plate and Harness - Has anybody seen what a new set of tank bands cost? Somewhere north of $200. And there are no "back plates" to compare with this egonomically contoured Back Pac. It quick releases (without tools) from the tank band for convenient travel.

I have a set just like your's in 72 cf. I got it for nothing as a gift from my son... Who paid some yard sale $10 for them. They were dirty like yours. I cleaned them up, repaired a crack in the backpack and got them hydrotested and inspected. They were WELL within safety standards... As good as new tanks. Shoot... You could even separate them into singles and have better tanks than aluminum.

Somebody should snap these up... They're a Bargain!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom