AquaLung Axiom for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robotr0n

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm about to buy my first BCD. My diving is split into roughly 1/3 cold water local dives and 2/3 tropical vacation dives. My requirements are:
- integrated weight system
- pockets for a cutting tool, SMB, other small stuff
- solid plate between my back and the cylinder
- (I think I want a) jacket style BCD. I've never used a wing style BCD before and am not sure I'd be happy w/ it.

If I'm diving, I want to be comfortable. So the Axiom looks like a great choice for me. I'm a bit concerned about the Axiom's weight system. I heard it wears out rather quickly. Is this really an issue? How about the Axiom's weight? It seems to be a rather heavy BCD making it less than ideal for traveling.

I've frequently used the AquaLung Wave as a shop rental and it fits me well as a size L. Does that mean an Axiom size L would be pretty much the same fit wise? The Axiom is available in so many sizes!

Thanks for your help!
-robotr0n

I wouldn't buy any BCD without trying it on. Different models from the same manufacturer can fit differently because they could be made from different materials and have different features that could affect the fit.

My wife and I both dive with Axiom i3 BCD's. When traveling with all our dive gear and stuff we pack I'm not sure any extra weight the Axiom may have would ultimately not make a difference. We both have travel and gear bags for our dive equipment. Even with the gear bags the walks to the boat aren't that bad. We love the i3 system, looks like it never really found it's footing but it sure beats the heck out of the traditional power inflator in my opinion.

Also, we like the intergrated weight system. The weight pocket slides in and lock easily if the you don't have the BCD on, you may fuss a bit with it on but they'll go in easy enough with a little extra effort. They unlock and pull easy if you need to dump them

I think you'll like the Axiom BCD. Everyone who has tried our BCD's really likes them. All love the i3 system.

I had the Axiom and like it. Mainly did travel scuba trips (not local dives) and it was great. The weight pouches held up well. I recently sold it though and went the BP/W route.

I know this is a little unrelated to the thread topic but has anyone here had trouble ordering Aqualung regulators? We ordered a Micron through Scuba.com on July 3rd and still haven’t received it because Aqualung won’t fulfill the order? WTH? Thanks!

Thanks for your opinions! I ended up buying the Axiom with the classic power inflator, size L. Now that I'm going into dry suit diving the size is fine, but is definitely a bit on the large side if wearing a thin wetsuit. I've got shirt size XL, so the BCD is pretty large. I've only had a chance to put 4 dives on it since I bought it in August, but it's been great so far. Would definitely recommend it if others are looking for a solid jacket style BCD. Weight seems to be fine for traveling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom