Aquacat Cruise in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcurts

Reaction score
I just booked my first liveaboard for August 20, 2005 on Aquacat! I can't wait!!
I would love to hear from anyone that has been on this cruise, any advice or experiences.

Thanks

marcurts:
I just booked my first liveaboard for August 20, 2005 on Aquacat! I can't wait!!
I would love to hear from anyone that has been on this cruise, any advice or experiences.

Thanks
Hi,
A group of us did the Aquacat in Jan of 2002. The boat was very well laid out and comfy but we did have our issues!
1. After eating at every meal they had us scape our own plates into the slop bucket. This was gross .
2. Plenty of fighting amongst the crew - they were not a happy group
3. The diving was ok.
4. The captain ran the boat aground twice on the reef.
5. The shore trips were great.
We have done liveaboards all over the world and this is the only trip we were aching to get back to shore. I hope your trip is better. Maybe by now the crew is better.

I did the Aquacat in fall of 2004 and had a good experience. I agree with ghazgal on most points, although I can't imagine the boat running aground. Fortunately, we didn't experience that. Our two captains seemed very competent.

Not the best diving I've ever done, but very good diving and a variety of dives (walls, blue hole, drift, wreck).

I wasn't all that impressed with the divemasters though. One was kind of a jerk and the others seemed aloof. On a couple of dives, they gave poor directions to the reef, and they seemed more interested in taking photos of you that they later try to sell you than showing you sites.

The shark dive was interesting, but my absolute favorite dive was the dive after the shark dive. The boat stayed at the same site, so most of the others went on a shore excursion. With only a handful of us in the water, we saw a bunch of blacktip and carribean reef sharks in a more natural setting.

You should have a great time! While waiting to fly home, we ate a restaurant called the Poop Deck and enjoyed it. Food at and near Atlantis seemed outrageously expensive. Below are some underwater pictures from our trip.

I went on the AC in Oct03 for my first dive trip. I went with a group from home including my OW instructor, so I took my AOW with him while on the boat. The AC provides instruction packages too and many of the others with us took the opportunity to get some!

I logged ~26 dives. It's a great time and I'll go back again!

Steve

marcurts:

Thanks

Went on the Aquacat right after the hurricane. We left 1 day late, Sunday for only 6 nights instead of 7. Didn't do the shark dive and went to the Eluthera's instead of the usual dive route as the captain thought we might have better diving. Crew and captain were helpful and attentive. Food was ok, like home cooking, and yes you do scrape your plate into a bucket. Cabin was ok. Bring dvd's if your not max diving. if the weather is good and there are no problems you should have a great time.

divekraz:
Went on the Aquacat right after the hurricane. We left 1 day late, Sunday for only 6 nights instead of 7. Didn't do the shark dive and went to the Eluthera's instead of the usual dive route as the captain thought we might have better diving. Crew and captain were helpful and attentive. Food was ok, like home cooking, and yes you do scrape your plate into a bucket. Cabin was ok. Bring dvd's if your not max diving. if the weather is good and there are no problems you should have a great time.

Why do you say "Didn't do the shark dive "?

marcurts:
Why do you say "Didn't do the shark dive "?

We would've liked to have gone on a shark dive but since we went to Eluthera the captain said it wouldn't be possible. Viz was 1 foot on the first dives few dives so we aborted and most of the balance were 20'-30'. Since then we went on the windsurf which had 4 divemasters on board. Diving was available 4 days out of 5 and did a shark dive in Roatan which was great. 25-30 sharks, 6'-10' length. Got some great video. If you go to the agressor web site http://www.aggressor.com/subpage7.php for their Bay Island trips and click on the shark icon just above the dolphin icon on the right you can see their video of the same dive. Our dive was just like it but we had 3'-5' seas with a current that ripped your mask and dive belt off if you turned sideways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom