Aqua Lung vs Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snickerdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to invest in my first regulator set and I'm looking at an Aqua Lung Legend vs the Atomic Z2. I'm inclined to order the AL because I like the AL rentals I have used and I find they are smaller than the Scuba Pro mouthpieces. But someone suggested the Atomic regs and now I'm kind of on the fence.

Any reason I should fall one way or the other or is it 6 of one, half a dozen of another?

Also, am I really crazy for considering having two regs instead of a regulator and an octo? I'm kind of wary of some of the quality of some of the octos I've seen around here and I feel like I'd be more comfortable with a "real" regulator as my backup, just in case.

Both very good regs. Just personal preference now, although you could call your lds and see what maintenance cost is for both, something most don't consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, I could call them but I'd get a different answer based on who I talk to. It'll be a crap shoot on cost for either, really. Things here aren't exactly super straight forward. :wink:

Thanks!

Both are quality built products that will last years

Aqua Lung = diaphragm
Atomic = piston

Atomic service interval = 2 year 300 dives
Aqua Lung = 1 year

You'll get the same type of response here that you would calling your LDS. Only here you will receive opinions on other manufactures that your LDS doesn't carry.

Alright so clearly I should pick on which one comes in the prettiest color, right? :blinking:

Kidding. I think I'll go with what I had picked out first then. I'm thinking it'll be the AL Legend with an Oceanic Alpha 9 for my secondary. Now to look at gauges/computers (again) and BCD's. Woo.

My bank account hates me today!

AL service interval got changed iirc. Needs a yearly inspection, but overhaul every other year.

Free Parts for Life Program

HOG is cheaper though upfront. DGX also has the dive rite rg3000 series for a good price.

I'm a little limited on shipping options as we're not in the US, unfortunately. Otherwise I'd LOVE to hang out in a well stocked dive shop and poke aorund or be able to order stuff easily. But were it so easy. I did find a company that does a pretty good military discount so I'm looking at what they have available and building aorund that if at all possible. :)

I'd go with Aqualung since they have a partner center in Bahrain. http://www.intothebluebh.com/Bahrain_Scuba/Home.html

The nearest Atomic dealer is in Turkey.

I personally wouldn't spend the extra money for a second 2nd stage you're likely never going to use.

The Aqualung ABS or the Apeks Egress make more sense in an air-share situation due to their bidirectional nature.

Unique 120° angle between hose and mouthpiece: This Aqua Lung innovation is ideal for giving your octopus to a buddy - will work in either right hand or left hand positions. No more sharp bends in the hose or upside down octopuses in the mouth
39" yellow hose easily distinguishes your ABS hose from your primary hose. This high visibility hose is easily spotted in case of an out-of-air emergency
Exceeds CE breathing requirements for regulators
Versatile design allows proper function when right side up or upside down

http://www.aqualung.com/us/gear/alternate-air-sources/item/155-abs-octopus
http://www.aqualung.com/us/gear/alternate-air-sources/item/162-egress-octopus

ABS has a 3" longer hose...

Is your Aqualung dealer also an Oceanic dealer? Someone has to service both. If you decide to to do that, maybe buy a Titan 2nd instead.

I'm looking to invest in my first regulator set and I'm looking at an Aqua Lung Legend vs the Atomic Z2. I'm inclined to order the AL because I like the AL rentals I have used and I find they are smaller than the Scuba Pro mouthpieces. But someone suggested the Atomic regs and now I'm kind of on the fence.

Any reason I should fall one way or the other or is it 6 of one, half a dozen of another?

Also, am I really crazy for considering having two regs instead of a regulator and an octo? I'm kind of wary of some of the quality of some of the octos I've seen around here and I feel like I'd be more comfortable with a "real" regulator as my backup, just in case.

If you are looking for a comfortable, small and lightweight regulator with great performance, I recommend the AL Mikron. Its what I bought when I first started diving and I love it. No plans to change. And it packs/travels well.

I'd go with Aqualung since they have a dealer in Bahrain. The nearest Atomic dealer is in Turkey

We aren't here forever so while it's a consideration for now, I can always use the family packmule system in the states for service, worst case scenario. :)

If you are looking for a comfortable, small lightweight regulator with great performance, I recommend the AL Mikron. Its what I bought when I first started diving and I love it. No plans to change. And it packs/travels well.

I was looking at that one too actually! I wish they had more than ScubaPros at the LDS so I could actually see them in person. Grumbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom