Aqua Lung Titan free-flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally am going to run my entire family through this experience on our next trip so they all understand how this can happen and what to do to avoid sudden panic.

What are you going to run your family through exactly?

What are you going to run your family through exactly?
What I described in my (too long) post:

"The only thing that did cause it was to put my face down horizontally (i.e., mouthpiece up) and let the mouthpiece slip slightly out of the side of my mouth as would be caused by not keeping my mouth firmly engaged around the flange. Doing so caused an explosive free flow even though, technically, the regulator was still in my mouth. That was my final diagnosis. She was playing with that knob on the body of the second stage, got the mouthpiece cocked sideways in her mouth with her head down and it just blew up."

What I described in my (too long) post:

"The only thing that did cause it was to put my face down horizontally (i.e., mouthpiece up) and let the mouthpiece slip slightly out of the side of my mouth as would be caused by not keeping my mouth firmly engaged around the flange. Doing so caused an explosive free flow even though, technically, the regulator was still in my mouth. That was my final diagnosis. She was playing with that knob on the body of the second stage, got the mouthpiece cocked sideways in her mouth with her head down and it just blew up."

What is the point of you having your family do this? Learn how to deal with a free flow?

What is the point of you having your family do this? Learn how to deal with a free flow?
Yes. At least this type of free flow.

What I wrote was,

"Now I know I am telling this story to a bunch of really experienced divers, but, to me, there is a moral. While we would all know what is happening, or figure it out quickly, a novice diver like my daughter might not--and that could have disastrous consequences if the diver bolts for the surface."

You don't have to do what you are describing to learn how to handle free flows. There are better ways we use during training students in their entry level course.
Are they trade secrets or would you like to share them?

Start with what I described--what to a novice seems to be a regulator blowing up in her/his face and disappearing in a cloud of bubbles.

Turn the regulator mouthpiece down. Change the lever from dive to predive if there is such a lever. Get the regulator retuned to a higher cracking pressure.

Your primary should be on + and in your mouth as you jump in and your secondary or octopus should remain on - for the duration of the dive.

You may have had a freeze up. Is this a Titan, a Titan LX or exactly what? Does it have the snowflake symbol on the front purge cover? If not it is not a Supreme model rated for cold water diving.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom