Aqua Lung SolAfx suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw this suit on the Aqua Lung website yesterday and I'm in need of a new suit... anyone had their hands on one or better yet dive it?

SolAfx Wetsuits

Thanks!

I have been diving it since early March. I love it. I have had it in high 50s to low 70s. It is toasty in all of those. It moves easy and it has great knee pads for doing things like climbing out of Orange Grove and Cow carrying twin E8-130s. I am very happy with this purchase. I highly recommend it.

I will be diving it in the North Atlantic down to 150' at the end of the month. I'll let you know how it works out there. I am not diving dry. The expected temps at depth will be in the low to mid 50s.

I just purchased a XXL SolAFx and I like it. I have only dove with it once on an aquarium dive which was 50 degree water and I stayed warm. I will be diving in a local lake (minnesota) the end of this week. It is easy to don and doff and I like the one piece with hood attached. I was using a 6.5mm Deep See Farmer john with shorty over the top and it always felt so restrictive. I feel more flexible with the 8/7mm SofAfx. Also like the neck seal and ankle and wrist cuff seals and of course with the attaced hood you do not get much new water circulation so it stands to reason that it would stay warmer. The true test will be Lake Superior where low forties is the norm, have not been up there for that yet. I did do a 39 degree dive there last summer and I got cold with my old set up so I will have to see how the new one works.

Gaffer

Thanks for the responses.

I currently have a somewhat worn out Pinnacle Polar... I think... it's basically the same suit as this one just from Pinnacle. I like it, but I still get chilled after an hour or so.

My wife, daugther, me, and a friend all dive the 7mm AquaFlex and absolutely love them. The 4 way stretch AquaFlex material is so comfortable and easy to put on. I strongly suspect we'll all be buying the SolAFx when it comes time to replace what we have given the attached hood and additional features. I'd be diving one now but I got a killer deal ($150) on my like-new 7mm and couldn't pass it up.

I gave my SolAfx suit the ultimate test yesterday diving the Madeira wreck in Lake Superior. Water temp was 41 degrees! I did three seperate dives of about 30 minutes each and I did get cold. My hands and feet were the coldest using Henderson semi-dri gloves and boots but bear in mind they are only 5mm. The SolAfx did as well as a wetsuit can do but those temps really are for drysuit conditions. Overall I think it will be fine for diving in the 45 to 60 degree water temp range.

Gaffer

I gave my SolAfx suit the ultimate test yesterday diving the Madeira wreck in Lake Superior. Water temp was 41 degrees! I did three seperate dives of about 30 minutes each and I did get cold. My hands and feet were the coldest using Henderson semi-dri gloves and boots but bear in mind they are only 5mm. The SolAfx did as well as a wetsuit can do but those temps really are for drysuit conditions. Overall I think it will be fine for diving in the 45 to 60 degree water temp range.

Gaffer

I made 4 dives on Northeast wreck dives in 46 degree water this week. I used my Solafx. Past about 35 minutes, I got cold. Part of that was due to not moving around as much at the bottom in a training class, but I would still think anything below mid 50s and an hour or more in duration, and you are going to be needing a dry suit. I just ordered an EVO II with Merino underwear from Cave Adventurers, and hopefully it will be here in a couple of weeks.

I've been diving one of these in Monterrey, and it has kept me nice and toasty despite the low 50 degree temps. Love the suit. Quick question for you all-- any idea of what the positive buoyancy is on it? I'm trying to recalculate my weighting.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom