Aqua Lung Pearl BCD - thoughts/reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering purchasing an Aqua Lung Pearl for my wife. Any thoughts/reviews concerning this BCD? We are new to diving (OW certified and 10 total dives). We will be traveling to warm water locations. I know it's a little heavy but we will pack it in a checked bag.

And no, we are not interested in a bp/w at this time.

Are you looking at the i3 model or no?

With respect to the aqualung line, you may want to have your wife try the Lotus. It is a back-inflate version, rather than a jacket-style. Depending on your wife's body shape, she may prefer the "backpack" style of a back-inflate over a jacket.

I have the Pearl and I really liked it when I first started diving. Because it's a jacket style it will keep her head up and out of the water when at the surface. The back-inflate versions tend to push me face down in the water. That said, I now dive a Zeagle Zena - which is more of a back-inflate and I prefer it for this phase of my diving - I'm ok with keeping my head out of the water while at the surface. The Pearl was the right choice for the beginning, for me, because it felt more secure all around. I guess what I'm hinting at is that you might consider renting a jacket style from a local dive shop (one you trust to keep their gear in good shape) and wait to make a purchase - or purchase a used Pearl to start with (again, from someone you trust to have maintained it well - and then have your local dive shop service it anyway).

I would not purchase anything for her that she cannot try in the water first. Fit on land may be fine. In the water she may hate it. Jackets have a tendency on some people to ride up on the surface. You see them all the time with the shoulders now up around their ears. Unless you add a crotch strap to them, which you can do on some.

Back inflates of any kind do not push people face forward in the water. Over inflating them, most often due to over weighting and poor placement of weights, is what usually results in that happening. Some BC's have trim weight pockets that allow you to distribute the weight so that it does not happen on the surface to the same degree.

However, when you use them to counteract that, they may make it harder to trim out underwater. That's because of the trim pockets being too low on the back to be of real use. If they put them up around the shoulders they'd be ok. But they put them over the kidneys where they are of little value to horizontal trim when coupled with a weight belt or integrated weights that are down around the hips.

Not sure why you are against the BPW but it is one of the best BC choices for women I have found. It fits every time as it's supposed to because you custom fit it to the diver, it puts the weight over the lungs where it needs to be, it's modular so it packs smaller, more economical due to that modularity, and the ability to just replace components that may wear out instead of the whole BC. You can customize the look with different color webbing, and when set up by someone who knows what they are doing feels like diving with nothing on.

I take customers who buy from me and want to come pick it up into the pool, adjust it, adjust their weights, get them trimmed out, and instruct them in the use of it. Not one has ever went back to a jacket. For women who are very slim, the crotch strap keeps it from riding up. For those with larger tops, it does not constrict or squeeze them. For those who are of larger overall build the whole thing is easier to adjust and fit to their shape.

With a jacket I have often seen too many compromises having to be made. The Zeagle Zena is nice in that it is also modular and you can swap out components. But it's 550 at leisure pro. A BPW is much less.

I always tell my students to buy their second BC first. That jacket is not going to hold it's value as well as a plate and wing either. Dive the jacket for a year, don't like it ? Replace the whole thing and hope you get 30% of what you paid for it. Decide you don't like the BPW? Get 75% or more of what you paid.

So Jim, are you saying that if I put some trim weights in the back, no the tank, that it will help me stay in a more heads up position at surface - without causing me to also go 'heads up' in the water? I love the buoyancy control I have in the water with my Zena - and the fact that it feels like I'm going face down at the surface has been a sacrifice I'm happy to make. But if I can have the best of both worlds ... I'm in. Suggestions?

My girl tried one and didn't like the fit as well as the pro hd. Tried a bunch of other female-specific models too and generally didn't like them better than the men's or unisex options. Finally tried on an Oceanic Hera, and decided it was the best fit for her body.

It has been a while since the OP has posted but I am curious what ended up happening. I actually tried on the Pearl in the pool yesterday and didn't like it but I loved the Scubapro Ladyhawk and bought it.

At the end of the day, be sure she tries it in water as well.

My wife really enjoys the Pearl without the i3. She is larger chested and finds it more comfortable due to the way it wraps around the chest area.

I am fairly petite and normally have to really tighten up every BCD I've tried. I bought an XS Pearl and used it this past trip. It was fine once I figured out I could let it hang lower than I was. Initially I was treating it like a regular BCD and my buoyancy was all messed up. Then I left it loose enough so it sat a bit lower, and all was right in the world. I do wish it had a trim weight pocket, but I can probably sort something out there.

I don't like it as much as the Scubapro Glide X I used in Roatan, but apparently they've stopped making them. Took Scubapro 2 months to decide to tell me that after I placed an order with one of their distributors.

I don't see replacing the Pearl anytime soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom