Aqua Lung Dimension

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMalby

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to purchase my first BCD and I like the way the Aqua Lung Dimension fit. I have never used a back bladder BCD only the full wrap around style. Anyone have any pros and/or con on this BCD?

Cons of back inflation: The more you inflate at the surface, the more it pushes your face forward into the water. No big deal unless you hang out on the surface a lot.(don't over inflate, and try laying on your back like a seal if you need to.) Usually have less pocket space.

Pros of back inflation: More streamlined in water, easier to get trim and level. No jacket "squeeze."

Pros of Dimension: Wrapture system moves weight from your shoulders to your waist - easier to handle the weight out of the water. One more pocket than most back inflation. Mechanism for snugging waist strap is unique, pretty sweet. I also like the small plastic D-ring high on the right side for my Octo clip.

EDIT follows
Cons of Dimension: Need a little extra care to be sure any Aqualung Surelock II weight pockets latch. Once warned, you should be fine.

I bought that BCD, have only had a chance to use it a few times but I really like it compared to the shop's rental Pro HD. It is much easier to adjust and far more stable in the water. The rental BCDs are used for instruction where you really want to be comfortable at the surface, but that is not applicable for real diving, where you're horizontal almost all the time. The only downside is that the max weight is 30 lbs. / 14 kg., and the pockets are pretty tight even with that. So if you need more weight you'll want something else. I love the way the pockets roll up if you don't need them.

Axiom is similar jacket style BCD, so if more weight is important, the larger Axiom sizes can handle 10 pounds more. (15 pound ditchable on either side)
Which is why that is my drysuit BCD. Dives nice, too.

Cons of back inflation: The more you inflate at the surface, the more it pushes your face forward into the water. No big deal unless you hang out on the surface a lot.(don't over inflate, and try laying on your back like a seal if you need to.) Usually have less pocket space.

Pros of back inflation: More streamlined in water, easier to get trim and level. No jacket "squeeze."

Pros of Dimension: Wrapture system moves weight from your shoulders to your waist - easier to handle the weight out of the water. One more pocket than most back inflation. Mechanism for snugging waist strap is unique, pretty sweet. I also like the small plastic D-ring high on the right side for my Octo clip.

EDIT follows
Cons of Dimension: Need a little extra care to be sure any Aqualung Surelock II weight pockets latch. Once warned, you should be fine.
I only need 10 - 20 lbs and dive mostly warm waters. Yes I heard that about the locks. I will take that into consideration. Thanks for tips....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom