April 21-28 St. Croix Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from St Croix. 7 days, 10 dives of about an hour each.

No pics, sorry.

Stayed at Carambola Bay Renaissance and dived with Sweet Bottom Dive Center (http://www.sweetbottomdive.com/) on site.
Great shop, very safe and courteous.

St Croix has a zero-tolerance lionfish policy and I assisted/spotted in the kill of over 15 lionfish near property. Nearly every dive saw one or two or 3. After one was dispatched, we were joined by a caribbean reef shark, then another, then a black tip and then another. By the time my buddy and I were outnumbered 2-1, the sharks made closer and closer passes, showing their pearly whites. Closest passes were within 10 feet and definitely exhibiting bully behavior.

Also assisted in the capture of 5 or 6 spiny lobster and chased several spotted lobster.

Entry couldn't be easier, just suit up and walk out into the water. Back swim 100-200 yards to the Davis Bay wall and drop down. The wall has a gentle to fairly steep slope, and we had no problem staying in rec range. Very healthy reef with lots of variety, density and color. Corals from Brain to Stag, Banded and spotfin butterflyfish, puffers, spotted drum, flamingo tongue, sea fans, whip coral, lizardfish, and small tropcals rounded out the larger sharks. I even saw a big wahoo cruising the wall on one dive. Many turtles were admired and lots to see on very relaxing dives.

Water temps: 80*, max depth:110, avg depth 45-50, vis was varied from hazy 40' to clear 70'. It's definitely on my to-return list. Oh, and they drive on the left.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great time. I'd like to see a wahoo (somewhere besides just on my dinner plate, though I like to see them there, too).

Interesting about the sharks moving in, especially 'bully behaviors.' Hope that doesn't lead to harm for man or fish down the road. Like if they get used to 'snatch and grab' and someone decides to reach out & wave at them...

Richard.

Sounds like a great time. I'd like to see a wahoo (somewhere besides just on my dinner plate, though I like to see them there, too).

Interesting about the sharks moving in, especially 'bully behaviors.' Hope that doesn't lead to harm for man or fish down the road. Like if they get used to 'snatch and grab' and someone decides to reach out & wave at them...

Richard.

It had been opined that the sharks were being fed by spearfishermen/divers further up the coast. Definitely knew the sound of a spear band releasing. They went crazy for that 8" lionfish, fighting for it like it was a chumsickle.

Back
Top Bottom