Approaching 50 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Morning All,

I'm two years in and at 40 dives right now, and still very much feeling like a first-time OW student in class. Not upset with that at all, just means I'm learning it right in my head and in a way that I will learn.

I've got the next 10 dives already on the calendar this month as I head to Florida for work and from what I gather 50 dives under the belt is a milestone. (even though I often feel I'm on my first OW Dive!)

Would love to hear what benchmarks I should be looking at for performance, goals, and what not now that I'm nearing 50 dives.

Also, I took a look at my dive stats and am curious if they tell a tale that I might learn from. As can be seen, All my dives have been pond or otherwise shallow. Suits me fine as I like what I'm doing for now.

Wondering if there would be any insight folks might offer regarding regarding my SAC, such as to where I might improve if that is even necessary right now. I know the areas where my SAC went through the roof...can tell you exactly which dives and why!

I should note that I started diving Dry this year and my SAC has actually gone down a few points even with using gas in my suit.

# DivesTotal timeAverage TimeShortestLongestAVG DeptAVG MaxMinMaxSAC AVGSAC MinSAC Max
4031:27:000:47:100:04:401:57:2014186320.480.0351.59

Look forward to the input!

I received the SSI Platinum Pro 5000 Diver award several years ago for having logged 7,500+ dives as a diver and instructor. To be quite honest with you, the only benchmark I ever used from my first dive to last week more than 40 years later was "Am I having fun?"

I received the SSI Platinum Pro 5000 Diver award several years ago for having logged 7,500+ dives as a diver and instructor. To be quite honest with you, the only benchmark I ever used from my first dive to last week more than 40 years later was "Am I having fun?"

Funny thing I was in Bali and on the boat were some students with their instructor who happily told them I have over 3000 dives.
I said to them that I am still having lots of fun diving in different parts of Asia.
Is there a milestone? I guess when I was new to diving the 50 then 100 then 250, then 500, then 750, then 1000 dives was great to notch up the numbers. Now I just dive and the dive log numbers are not important. Just did 36 dives in Bali and off to Bohol in 2 weeks for another 40 dives.

Rack em up

When I hit my 50th dive (in Destin, FL), that was the final requirement for PADI Master Scuba Diver. My instructor was going to send in the paperwork before I did #50 saying he trusted me that I would do it. Once I did the dive it was then that I realized I was a true Master of Scuba and there was nothing left to learn. Let's start a thread on that....

How are your buoyancy and trim? Working on finning techniques?

50 dives is an accomplishment.
I tell newer divers that at 50 dives you are getting a clue. At 100 dives you realize you didn't LOL

There are no benchmarks as far as I know. I've dived with people who've got 20 dives that do better than some who've been diving for 30 years.

Just keep learning, stay curious.

Back
Top Bottom