Apples vs. Oranges - T&C Explorer vs. Land-Based Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GramercyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering a trip in late May and as of now deciding between a week on the Turks & Caicos Explorer (they are offering $500 off the last week in May - which seems like a fantastic deal) or a long weekend on Grand Cayman - East End - diving with Ocean Frontiers (three dive days, hopefully for a total of 10 dives). Obviously I'll get in a lot more diving on the liveaboard and have to do a lot less fending for my self. On Grand Cayman I'd be staying at Compass Point and have a rental car so I guess we'd stock up on breakfast and lunch foods and then just eat out most nights.

Any thoughts on either of these plans? I've read through the Boards and a lot of the Undercurrent reviews. I know this is kind of an apples to oranges comparison so I apologize in advance.

I live on the East Coast so I'm trying to limit this to a non-stop destination or one change of planes. My last trip (December 2009) was to Little Cayman, which I absolutely love, but that extra plane ride is a bit much. For that same reason I've ruled out Riding Rock/San Salvador. The airfares to Bonaire are really high so that didn't make the cut either, and the Aqua Cat is booked the week I want to go. I suppose Cozumel is an option. I haven't been there since '99, but I heard the diving has gone downhill. I really wanted to do the Utila Aggressor, but they are still waiting on the new boat.

I'm leaning toward T&C (after two liveaboards, I'm now hooked and love the ease and social aspects), but my buddy is worried the diving will be disappointing based on some of the reviews we've read and particularly in comparison to LC. Plus all those reports about the T&C Explorer swinging on the mooring are a bit daunting.

Thanks - any thoughts are always appreciated!

While I like East End of GC and mostly prefer the diving there over T&C, I'd still pick a week on a T&C liveaboard over a long weekend on GC.

I wouldn't worry about the swinging, some boats will do that depending on their profile and the wind conditions. If you're doing liveaboards sooner or later you'll have to deal with it. It's obviously trickier to find and re-board the boat when it's doing that, but you'll get the knack in a bit and it can actually be kind of fun,

Take the diving on T&C, T&C probably has the closest diving to Cayman plus more shark sightings. I've dove with Frontier at the East side of GC and it's great but diving on the Explorer will top GC.

I've been on the T&C Aggressor but not the Explorer. I've also used Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers on GC. Both choices would make for a great trip. However, with a $500 discount, I would lean towards the Explorer also. I understand your concern about being disappointed with T&C diving in comparison to LC as that was my impression also. I agree with you that liveaboard diving is very easy with an appealing social aspect. It has certainly spoiled me forever! The swinging issue is something to be aware of when you come back to the boat, but it's almost a non-issue and easily dealt with. I also agree with your assessment of flights to Bonaire, but I don't mind the extra flight to Little Cayman as long as I don't have to overnight in GC. Have a great time wherever you decide to go.

I'm considering a trip in late May and as of now deciding between a week on the Turks & Caicos Explorer (they are offering $500 off the last week in May - which seems like a fantastic deal) or a long weekend on Grand Cayman - East End - diving with Ocean Frontiers (three dive days, hopefully for a total of 10 dives). Obviously I'll get in a lot more diving on the liveaboard and have to do a lot less fending for my self. On Grand Cayman I'd be staying at Compass Point and have a rental car so I guess we'd stock up on breakfast and lunch foods and then just eat out most nights.

Any thoughts on either of these plans? I've read through the Boards and a lot of the Undercurrent reviews. I know this is kind of an apples to oranges comparison so I apologize in advance.

I live on the East Coast so I'm trying to limit this to a non-stop destination or one change of planes. My last trip (December 2009) was to Little Cayman, which I absolutely love, but that extra plane ride is a bit much. For that same reason I've ruled out Riding Rock/San Salvador. The airfares to Bonaire are really high so that didn't make the cut either, and the Aqua Cat is booked the week I want to go. I suppose Cozumel is an option. I haven't been there since '99, but I heard the diving has gone downhill. I really wanted to do the Utila Aggressor, but they are still waiting on the new boat.

I'm leaning toward T&C (after two liveaboards, I'm now hooked and love the ease and social aspects), but my buddy is worried the diving will be disappointing based on some of the reviews we've read and particularly in comparison to LC. Plus all those reports about the T&C Explorer swinging on the mooring are a bit daunting.

Thanks - any thoughts are always appreciated!

I am not going to comment on the locations. I am doing the T&C trip in Sept on the explorer. Went to LC once several years ago and have no desire to go back.

The comment that I have is the boat swinging on the mooring. I dove with the Explorer ops in Saba and they too have the situation where the boat swings on the mooring. I thought it was great fun. I loved hanging on to the hang line and taking that ride when the boat swung around. I am navigationally challenged:dork2: I can not navigate my way out of a box but I had no problem what so ever finding the boat at the end of a dive. Don't sweat it... have fun... ride the drop line.... you will love it...

Between those two choices, I would do the liveaboard.

I wouldn't rule out Bonaire just because airfare is high. Yes, airfare is the biggest expense but the rest of the trip there is cheap so it balances out. Diving there is great, plus the shore diving option is fabulous, dive your own schedule, dive the sites you pick, etc. I highly recommend Bonaire for everyone. I have videos here: Bonaire, 2007 on Vimeo

As far as Cozumel goes, yes it has changed a great deal since '99. Topside and underwater are different. The good thing is that there are still the deep walls, swimthroughs, and drift dives. Bad thing is it is definitely more touristy topside, cruise ship heaven, so staying away from town in daytime is a must. But there are also the cenotes and Mayan ruins on mainland that are worthwhile if in the area diving.
cenotes: http://www.rnrscuba.net/2009Yucatan/Cenotes.html
Chichen Itza: Mayan Ruins - Chichen Itza

We are heading back to Coz in April, staying at Scuba Club again, as we find it to be the best way to do Coz now. Photos here: Cozumel and the Yucatan, March 2009

I know this has probably not answered your questions about GC or T&C specifically. I just thought I should comment on the other places you have ruled out.

robin:D

I would do the liveaboard without question. The T&C Aggressor was my first live-aboard trip and is to this day my favourite diving vacation. They should take you to the areas that are normally well out of reach from a vacation on Provo. We had lots of sharks, rays, dolphins and turtles. I think our trip was in August, so things might be a little different.

Well,
I wonder how many posts you'll have to go before someone tells you GC is the better deal. I agree with everyone so far that the T&C Explorer is by far the better deal. You will get a lot more diving in and probably less chance of being affected by weather as the boat can move.
We just did the T&C Explorer trip last December and loved it.
If you know where the front of the boat is moored, you can find the boat and enjoy riding with the swing.
Pix and video from our TCEX trip.
http://delargy.com/2009_12_Turks/Turks_Main.htm

Keep GC for another trip. a long weekend isn't long enough to fully explore the splendor. Loads of dive ops to choose from so do some research before you book your hotel. East End is quite far from most of the amenities and you'll wish you'd stayed closer to Seven Mile Beach. Shore diving off SMB is very accessible and quite inexpensive. Sunset House is a great option to stay at, though the dive site is quickly discarded for more interesting sites like Lighthouse Point and Turtle Reef. Don't forget to take at least one day for the North Wall, can't pass up the chance of seeing a hammerhead, tiger shark or Manta!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom