Apple Watch won't go into dive mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Brant

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Ultra has stopped going into dive mode when I enter the water. It either stays on whatever recent announcement it might have made or goes to the defalult. Of course the touch screen is not functional under water so I can't even force dive mode. It did this intermittently for a while but now it just will not work. It is set up for water lock and it does ask me to hold the crown to clear the water, so it seems to know I am in water.

Has anyone else seen this? I have apple care on the watch and could send it in but my last experience with apple care was not ideal.

Probably not the same thing as using toilet paper underwater butthat's my take on it

Assuming you have the following settings:

Settings > General > Auto-launch > when Submerged: Selected app
And for the selected app you have either Depth or Oceanic+ selected.
And for Threshhold set to Immediately

If that’s all set, try a restart and if no go then I’d say the depth sensor is faulty.
Apple will want you to do a full erase and install and retest before they replace.

Oceanic support asked me to update both iOS and WatchOS. My phone was fairly recent on updates but I did the latest, the watch I'm not sure of. In any case the watch worked today. It took me a full day on and off to update the watch as I kept getting error messages, which seems to be a common problem. If you turn up for a dive vacation with a watch that needs all this pampering you will be buying or renting a computer locally.

Yeah, it's not a great experience when it doesn't work. Possibly why Oceanic are still the only developer with full access to the depth sensor. I've used the Ultra as a dive computer for the past 18 months and it worked 95% of the time and it worked really well with a great info layout and readability.
But 5% not working is not good enough so I've let my subscription lapse and bought an alternative single use DC.

Yep there's diving and then there's all that other all consuming important stuff

Might go and take some fish for a walk

Back
Top Bottom