Apple Cult

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it isn't the old tube type. I don't recall what I paid for it but it was pretty high priced at the time. It wasn't like I could really afford it, I was young, single and that was about all I had. Mine is a Thorens turntable with a Stanton cartridge.

I have a NAD AV receiver now. NAD makes some great stuff.

That's the one with the tube amp, yes? I was too young and poor to afford something like that. Ended up with NAD separates and infinity RS-somethings. Dual turntable with ortofon needle.

I continue to be amazed at how personally threatened people like the OP are by the presence of Apple. If you don't like their products then dont buy them. If you dont like their stock then dont buy it but why do you really care what someone else does such that an entire thread is needed.

It is amazing how the mere mention of apple brings out the hoards. Why should you care if someone feels that the product is valuable enogh to them to warrant them standing outside in line for 3 weeks???

Just dont get it ......

I have an apple TV and 4 ipods in the household, do I have to return them, and remove itunes from my computer?

---------- Post added October 22nd, 2014 at 12:05 PM ----------

That Wi-Fi thermostat is likely now owned by Google.

All of the major tech companies are on this as well add in car infotainment.

That's the Nest system. About 5 years late to market, but they are copying the 'apple' model, with a dumbed down system that is marketed as being simple to use and set up paired with a slick/sexy design. Google paid over 3 billion dollars for them. Obviously the Apple model has a lot of merit and maybe they will be successful based on it.
131220_EYE_Nest.jpg.CROP.promovar-medium2.jpg

The security cameras work great. I have had that for the last year or so. I also turn my alarm system off and on with my phone. I can check to see if the UPS or Fedex guy left the package by the front door, I can also check into see if the dog has been on the furniture as I suspected. Home automation is pretty cool stuff. I also have the Control 4 system for some of the other things I want to automate like lights and curtains TV, AV receiver etc. Oh, just so it is on topic, I do it from my iPhone.:D
I've had an internet thermostat for a few years too. Love the ability to turn down the heat or turn off the A/C when we leave on a trip and then just before we return open a browser window and turn the house back on. The home security cameras you can check from the internet is next.

I've had an internet thermostat for a few years too. Love the ability to turn down the heat or turn off the A/C when we leave on a trip and then just before we return open a browser window and turn the house back on. The home security cameras you can check from the internet is next.

As we're driving home, I crank the A/C and it's cool when we get there. We have a new A/C now, but I really could have used this prior because the old unit would take hours to cool the house down in the peak of Summer.

I actually did cameras first, but I don't have them on-line because I couldn't find a free DNS service. All the ones the camera company recommends now charge a fee. If anyone knows of a free service, I'd like to hear about it. The thermostat DNS is provided by the manufacturer (Honeywell) for free, though they advise that they may begin charging in the future. The downside is you can only access thru their website, but they also have a free app I use as a shortcut.

Sure, why not. :D i might have to float it past the wife before though.

What? Are you just going to tie me to the back porch until she gets used to the idea? :) (very old joke)

Back to the convo. I use Samsung Galaxy and own aapl. Best of both worlds. (Just typed this into my phone).

No, it isn't the old tube type. I don't recall what I paid for it but it was pretty high priced at the time. It wasn't like I could really afford it, I was young, single and that was about all I had. Mine is a Thorens turntable with a Stanton cartridge.

I have a NAD AV receiver now. NAD makes some great stuff.

They DID have tube amps for certain! Check this out!
McIntosh C1000 Tube Pre Amp 20 Hrs Max Pristine Box Remote Single Owner | eBay

:-O Too rich for MY blood!

Oh I know that. I knew a couple of people that had them, they were too rich for my blood. The 1900 wasn't exactly their top of the line, it was down the line. Their pre-amps were/are incredible. There is a dealer here that handles Mac. When I bought the NAD AV receiver I had to walk away from that room because I was afraid I would drool on it. HAHAHA

This is what I have, index.jpg

I looked on ebay and I am surprised at the price they are asking for these.

They DID have tube amps for certain! Check this out!
McIntosh C1000 Tube Pre Amp 20 Hrs Max Pristine Box Remote Single Owner | eBay

:-O Too rich for MY blood!

I actually did cameras first, but I don't have them on-line because I couldn't find a free DNS service. All the ones the camera company recommends now charge a fee. If anyone knows of a free service, I'd like to hear about it. The thermostat DNS is provided by the manufacturer (Honeywell) for free, though they advise that they may begin charging in the future. The downside is you can only access thru their website, but they also have a free app I use as a shortcut.

The internet thermo I use is bayweb, no monthly costs, just the cost of the thermo, you control it thru a computer or a ap on your phone, it does way more than I would ever use, like learning your habits, can have it hooked up to sense people or not, does analysis of your home's heating and cooling, all kinds of stuff.

For cameras I could have sworn I was looking at one a while back that was free unless you wanted storage of the video over time, I thought that was how they made their dough, since I was looking at them for a business, I needed the recording of the video for up to a month and the fees were pretty steep, but I thought if you didn't want storage there was no monthly cost, only the up front cost of the cameras? I'll have to look for them again and see if I can find them for you

If Samsung would stop screwing loyal customers they could destroy apple. But they will not and apple will triumph. Their technology is crazy good, but they dont update their products

The internet thermo I use is bayweb, no monthly costs, just the cost of the thermo, you control it thru a computer or a ap on your phone, it does way more than I would ever use, like learning your habits, can have it hooked up to sense people or not, does analysis of your home's heating and cooling, all kinds of stuff.

For cameras I could have sworn I was looking at one a while back that was free unless you wanted storage of the video over time, I thought that was how they made their dough, since I was looking at them for a business, I needed the recording of the video for up to a month and the fees were pretty steep, but I thought if you didn't want storage there was no monthly cost, only the up front cost of the cameras? I'll have to look for them again and see if I can find them for you

That would be great, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom