Apparent sudden death of TG 5 with solution (fixed)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steelyeyes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was sure my camera and strobes were charged. Went diving, camera setup worked decent for the first part of the dive. I took about 20 shots or so. I was trying to get a sharp tailed puffer in decent focus and my LCD was black. I thought it shut it self down on time out. I pushed the on/off button, nothing. Waited, tried again, nothing.

I don't recall seeing a battery problem and usually I do. Oh well. Went home took the camera out of the case and put in my spare battery right off the charger. Nothing. Plugged camera into charger and waited. Nothing.

I pulled the card and recovered the images but so far the camera appears DOA.

Any ideas for CPR or should I just buy a Sony DSC-RX 100?

I assume you have asked Olympus what they think might have happened. I also assume out of warranty.

I broke my Canon G7X with trauma after it was out of warranty. Canon had a program in which they gave me a reconditioned camera for a bargain price. It has worked perfectly for quite a while now. This worked out very well for me as I have a very nice Nauticam housing with vacuum check. Perhaps Olympus has a similar program?

I'll check with a local Olympus dealer later in the week. Things are pretty closed down with the holiday and virus precautions.

My TG4 died similarly. Just stopped working mid dive one day. Not that many dives into it’s live either, but just out of warranty. Never got wet, only went in the water in the housing. No idea why it died. Olympus said at the time I have to send it in to get a cost estimate for the repair. Wrote it off, figured maybe I get a TG5 which was about to come out. Well for that they changed the housing, so that was that. Still have a used TG4 to use with that housing, but my main camera is a Sony now.

My TG4 died similarly. Just stopped working mid dive one day. Not that many dives into it’s live either, but just out of warranty. Never got wet, only went in the water in the housing. No idea why it died. Olympus said at the time I have to send it in to get a cost estimate for the repair. Wrote it off, figured maybe I get a TG5 which was about to come out. Well for that they changed the housing, so that was that. Still have a used TG4 to use with that housing, but my main camera is a Sony now.
My TG-4 did not die (yet) but it stopped recognizing the connecting cable. After trying this and that, I simply bought a charger for the battery and I take the SD card out to download pictures.

I assume you have asked Olympus what they think might have happened. I also assume out of warranty.

I broke my Canon G7X with trauma after it was out of warranty. Canon had a program in which they gave me a reconditioned camera for a bargain price. It has worked perfectly for quite a while now. This worked out very well for me as I have a very nice Nauticam housing with vacuum check. Perhaps Olympus has a similar program?
Yes, I used this option with s90.

Tarponchik,
You might try getting a new cable. Or try putting a drop of electrical contact cleaner on the cable plug, then plug and unplug the cable into the camera socket. There might be some surface corrosion on the connection.

Tarponchik,
You might try getting a new cable. Or try putting a drop of electrical contact cleaner on the cable plug, then plug and unplug the cable into the camera socket. There might be some surface corrosion on the connection.
I tried everything, nothing worked. But it's OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom