Apollo or other spring straps for Bio-fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I’d like to get spring straps for my Apollo Bio-fins XTs, and have a question for those who have faced this decision.

There are three options:

1. buy the Apollo spring straps (retail $85, lowest price found = $70) and cut the pegs off the fins and permanently attach the straps. I can use the same fins for both wetsuit and drysuit diving. (fins are L and my drysuit [Bare Tech tri-lam has XL softboots]). So I’m hoping I could use the large size spring, even though the drysuit boot sticks out further than the wetsuit boot. This is definitely a permanent modification. I have the dremel tool and should be able to do the work fairly easily. Plus they look well made and are designed for my fins, but once a post is cut, ther's no going back.
2. get Innovative spring straps (EZ fin straps – grip tight model, retail $50, lowest price found = $33). This model has a permanent metal end that clamps around the fins posts and you then squeeze the end with pliers to "permanently" keep them on. I guess you could pry them off if you wanted to use the old rubber straps.
3. get the other Innovate spring straps that fit on the posts like regular silicone straps and can be undone easily – quick release buckles. (retail for $46, lowest price found $30). The spring can be removed easily and a silicone/rubber one put on.

There are other spring straps out there, but I haven’t investigated further that the three above.

My questions are for Apollo fin owners who have gone to spring straps:

What did you do?
What were the results?
What is your recommendation?

(Or anyone who has put spring straps on their fins.)

Thanks in advance.

BEM,

I'm using:

3. get the other Innovate spring straps that fit on the posts like regular silicone straps and can be undone easily – quick release buckles. (retail for $46, lowest price found $30). The spring can be removed easily and a silicone/rubber one put on.

And the reason is because I lend my fins to some buddies when they go diving. That bunch has foot sizes from 7.5-10 and so any permanent springs will result in either cramp toe or loosing a fin.

However, I'm getting tired of them leaches borrowing my fins and returning them unwashed so I've gotten PERMANENT springs straps from Apollos so I'll NEVER have to lend them out again Bahhhaahahahaaa!!!

Recommend that you get either choice 1 or 2 (if you want the fins all to yourself).
I would get choice 2 cus it's cheaper unless you find a cheap pair from ebay (that's where I got mine).

I love the springs cus they don't fall out, almost never break and make donning and doffing a breeze.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom