Apollo Bio Filter...effective?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis

Contributor
Reaction score
What is your opinion on the Apollo Bio filter that helps humidify the air coming out of the second stage? Does it make a difference?

I've never used one, but I've always found the idea of adding a flow restriction into a regulator kind of strange.

Not to sound mean but...do a search. I know there are at least 2 other threads that have talked about this, most first hand experience.

Diver Dennis:
What is your opinion on the Apollo Bio filter that helps humidify the air coming out of the second stage? Does it make a difference?

I looked into it for my wife a few month back. From all the stuff that I read.... I scared her off.

I had one for a year or so. It's a beautifully engineered and machined piece of work. The carbon filtration is probably not all that necessary - maybe overseas wher eyou might get some funky vacation air, but the moisturizing section would be a real help to anyone who gets bad drymouth while diving. I had it a few times, and it really was the pits.
In my business, I used Sherwood Oasis regulators to prevent that - not sure how much they helped, but no on ever complained of dry mouth and my customers liked the way the regs breathed.
I sold the Bio Filter because I had stopped using it after I switched to nitrox. People that need them, love them.

Tom Winters:
I sold the Bio Filter because I had stopped using it after I switched to nitrox. People that need them, love them.

How does Nitrox enter into the equation?

thanks

I'm a lot more comfortable at depth with the extra O2. I get my gas at Fill Express and never had a case of dry mouth from any of their fills. When I did get dry mouth from over-dessicated air, it was agony underwater. Plus Apollo allowed up to 40% nitrox with the Bio Filter and was not too wild about using trimix with it.
Some people are extra-sensitive to dry air, and there the Bio Filter shines. Maybe there's somehtng in the extra O2 that prevents it.

Back
Top Bottom