Apo Reef status?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makhno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
What is the status of Apo Reef these days? I was planning on a liveaboard trip to Coron and Apo Reef for February, but over the weekend I spoke to a guy who has done lots of diving in the Philippines and said that he dived Apo Reef last year (2011) and was very disappointed by the coral bleaching, lack of big fishes, etc.

But corals can recover from bleaching and fish populations can rebound. What has Apo Reef been like this year?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I did some dives at Apo in March and was impressed - I don't remember details about the fish, I was too busy staring at the coral. The image that sticks in my head is an expanse of near perfect (and unbleached) coral coverage. Very cool sight.

Coral growth in Apo Reef may not be as good as in other places in the Philippines but the abundance of fish both big and small, is amazing. I observed this in 3 trips to Apo in November 2010, March 2012 and April 2012.

My shaky GoPro video:

[video=vimeo;40495897]https://vimeo.com/40495897[/video]

Hi Matthew, thanks for the choice of music, don't hear classical music often enough on diving videos - what piece was it? Oh, by the way, nice video too, especially the turtle coming head on!

Hi Matthew, thanks for the choice of music, don't hear classical music often enough on diving videos - what piece was it? Oh, by the way, nice video too, especially the turtle coming head on!

Schumann - SYMPHONY NO. 3

Thanks!

I am curious? what is the best/easiest way for a foreigner to get from Manila to Apo reef area? also i see coron and el nino are close to apo reef. is there an easy way to get from apo reef area to el nino?

I wasn't aware Apo reef is a different place then Apo Island. I was talking about Apo island in the post above, so NM.

Anyone else have any recent experience at Apo Reef?

i did go to apo island near dumaguete. did 2 dives in 1 day there and i was not impressed.i am going to sogod, this coming trip. hear great things about sogod and i have not been there yet.

maybe i went to the wrong place? but there was nothing special. i had heard good things about apo island and i wish it had worked out better. i was disappointed thou.

Back
Top Bottom