Apex Oxygen Clean Regulator Service - DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd like to hear from people who use self-serviced Apeks Regulators for deco rigs. Apeks doesn't seem to make an "O2 Clean" service kit, so what extra steps, if any, do you take when servicing an Apeks regulator for use with ppo2% that exceed 40%?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thanks for the reply. I have Oxy Hacker book, and Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair, both excellent books!

Apeks sells O2 Deco Regulators. I'll assume they aren't buying kits on e-bay, so the factory kits are being used, or modified for >40% service. I'd like to hear from people who service and dive their own Apeks gear, and what, in practice, they're actually doing.

User powder-free vinyl/latex gloves Take a normal service kit, wash the o-rings in dish-soap and rince with clean water. Use a oxygen-compatible lubricant like Christolube/Tribolube. A lot of people only do the 1st stage O2-clean, and just use O2-compatibel lubricant on the 2nd stage. Personally I clean both when I'm servicing the deco-regs for pure O2.

I only O2 clean the first stages, no reason to O2 clean the seconds unless you are doing it out of convenience.

It is possible that Apeks is not using O2 compatible lube when they machine the regulators and if that is the case, then they can never be truly "o2 clean" which is the same reason that Poseidon has differentiation between their O2 clean and non-O2 clean regulators.

For our purposes does that mean you can't use them for O2? That is for you to decide.

All Apeks first stages use the same service kits though so if you buy the ones for the O2 regs, then it will go in the rest

Apeks uses O2 compatible lube out of the factory and their service kits are fine for O2 service as well. I don't know exactly when the switch to O2 compatible lube came about but it is safe to say all XTX models are ok and probably most ATX. I'm not sure about TX, I would probably be a little more thorough if I was going to be using a TX for 100%.

I'd like to hear from people who use self-serviced Apeks Regulators for deco rigs. Apeks doesn't seem to make an "O2 Clean" service kit, so what extra steps, if any, do you take when servicing an Apeks regulator for use with ppo2% that exceed 40%?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

My understanding is that unless the kit is marked "Not O2 Clean", then the kit is O2 compatible. I believe that Apeks uses EPDM O-rings. They also specify CHRISTO-LUBE MCG-111 as the lubricant to be used. I am pretty sure the universal first stage service kit is the same one to use on the XTX40/DS4 Oxygen regulator.

The service document does not specify 100% O2, but it does state "...the authorized service kit components and lubricants are compatible in elevated oxygen environments."

So to answer your question...I O2 clean the regulator parts like any other, use Christo-Lube, and use the Apeks parts kits that do not have "Not O2 Clean" markings...which were older kits. All new kits ordered do not come with this marking on the kit that I have seen.

There is still an issue if EPDM O-rings that Apeks uses in their kits are O2 compatible. Personally, I use Viton equivalents. I clean them using non-phosphate dish soap (Dawn/Joy) then thoroughly rinse. For the reg parts, I use paper towels first to get all the old lube out. Then it gets a two or three step wash. It gets a first wash with 1:10 simple green solution which is usually the leftover solution from the last batch's final wash. This is the "toothbrush/gunk removal" phase. Second, a 50/50 distilled vinegar soak or a run with the ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of corrosion (optional step depending on corrosion). Then the final wash with fresh 1:10 simple green solution coupled with a wipe down with white cotton makeup pads to check for residual contamination. Last step is a thorough rinse of two to three times using the "shake test" to check the wash water.

Edit: This is my general procedure for all my regs. For those seeing O2 service, I run them all through the ultrasonic cleaner. I also spray on pure simple green before the 1st wash for especially tough gunk.

Last edited:
Sorry for opening up an old thread. Are you guys using regular Apeks first stages for O2?

Back
Top Bottom