Apeks XTX20 Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EevelMonkee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello All,
I just wanted to supply a little feedback on my use of an Apeks XTX20 regulator 1st and second stage. Most information on the well known scuba sites, including this one, is accurate and I have not found a negative review. The "underwaterdivingequipment" site has some incorrect info on it as it states, "This regulator will perform well in standard leisure dives in water above 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 degrees Celsius) and at depths of 60-70 fsw (feet saltwater) (18-21 meters)." in its product description. Even the manufacturers literature clearly explains that the reg can be used in temps greater than or equal to 10*C and is perfectly suitable within recreational depth limits (40m).
Anyway, I have used this reg on about 50 dives in tropical waters. It is a pleasure to breath from and performs as well at 40m in a strong drift as it does at a 5m safety stop. It does not have an external environmental seal, making it good for warm water only, but this also keeps the design simpler with one less part to have to replace down the road. I have never adjusted the integrated venturi control and leave it on the minimum setting which always is easy to breath. The comfo-bite mouth piece is great and sort of feels like an orthodontic retainer. This causes the user to be able to totally relax his jaw and still retain the mouthpiece easily.
The only negative I really notice is the weight of the first stage. Its a bit heavy due to the swivel turret adding metal but this is not an issue unless you are constantly traveling with it.
Overall, the XTX20 is a great warm water reg for any level of recreational diver from the novice to the instructor. No reason to get a more expensive Apeks unless you will be diving in water colder than 10*C (50*F).
So that's my two cents. Hope someone finds this useful.

EM

It does not have an external environmental seal, making it good for warm water only, but this also keeps the design simpler with one less part to have to replace down the road.
The only negative I really notice is the weight of the first stage. Its a bit heavy due to the swivel turret adding metal but this is not an issue unless you are constantly traveling with it.

EM
I assume you have bought XTX200 2nd stage with UST 1st stage.
The "hydrostatic diaphragm"(AP1482) is included in Apeks Diaphragm 1st Stage Kit(AP0241). According to Apeks, it has other function besides keeping the spring dry.
For storage: Turn the adjusting screw of your 1st stage completely out counter-clockwise until it stops. Make a mental note of how many turns that it requires. Do not forget to reset it otherwise it will "free-flow" slightly(normal).
The weight is NOT an issue for me even if I have to carry 4-5 of them on every tech trip.

Back
Top Bottom