Apeks WTX3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I already have a Dive Rite Venture Wing that suits me just fine, but my wife is getting back into diving so we need another wing, and I can pick up a used WTX3 for cheap. Any feedback on using it for recreational single tank diving with a steel back plate?

If cheap is <= $100, then it might be worth it. The wing is wide. While serviceable, it requires more active management of the air bubble than a smaller/narrower wing.

But if your wife doesn't like it, then she can dive your Venture wing :wink:

I asked the same question a year ago. Don is spot on. Mine gets mistaken for a doubles wing all the time. But it suits me fine for the most part. I'm lightly in the market for a narrower 30# wing.

Last edited:
One question for those who own one: Please confirm that when standing and wearing the wing, the pull dump is on the left (operated by the diver's left hand) and facing front (so it is on the 'bottom' when in horizontal trim).

This is how the pictures seem to show it, but I did read one web post suggesting the pull dump was on the right. That would be a deal-breaker for me if it were true.

One question for those who own one: Please confirm that when standing and wearing the wing, the pull dump is on the left (operated by the diver's left hand) and facing front (so it is on the 'bottom' when in horizontal trim).

This is how the pictures seem to show it, but I did read one web post suggesting the pull dump was on the right. That would be a deal-breaker for me if it were true.

Yes, you are correct. It is a bit wider than some single tank wings, but I've never noticed an issue with it at all. If the price is right, I'd say go for it.

As a note, I have used it both with a STA, and with cam bands threaded through it and the backplate, and found it to be very stable the whole time.

Mine came with a D ring actually attached to the bottom of the wing, which I found to be annoying, and get caught up a bit between the plate and tank, so I cut it off, since I have a butt ring on my harness already.

Jim

I ordered the WTX3 and was dissapointed when I found out it was backordered. I ordered an Oxycheq wing, the Mach V 30 lb, from Peter Sotis at Addhelium.com. The WTX3 wound up coming in about 2 weeks after I received the Oxycheq wing, so I was able to compare the two side by side. I am so glad I did not end up with the WTX3. The build quality on the Oxycheq is sooooo much better, the WTX3 is huge compared to the Oxycheq, and the kicker for me is that all the parts, including the bladder, are replaceable on the Oxycheq. On the Oxycheq wing there is a zipper that allows you to fully view and inspect the bladder of the wing, the WTX3 does not. Compared to other wings, the Oxycheq was priced right also.

The pull dump is in the standard location - on the "bottom left" so you dump air as with any other wing.

The WTX3 is a very lightweight, single-piece wing. It's as flat as a sheet of paper when empty, and rolls/folds away small. This is because it's not an "internal bladder" design, meaning there is no tough outer "shell" protecting the air cell. It's not as tough as a typical Halcyon/DSS/Oxycheq/Agir wing.

Another (minor) consideration is that all the parts seem proprietary - corrugated hose, inflator valve, dump valve - you can't put on Tobin's OPV, for instance.

Mine came with the back d-ring too. I don't use it and don't care for it, but haven't felt a need to cut it off yet.

In reality, it's a totally serviceable wing. It does require a bit more active management, but it works fine and I use mine for single-tank diving all the time.

Might buy wtx3 wing + apeks backplate + standard harness (not the apeks deluxe "west").
Would I need a single tank adapter, or is it enough to have two tank straps through the holes in the wing and backplate? More tank movement etc without a STA?

It'll function fine without an STA. Whether you'd prefer one (weight, tank roll, etc.) is another question, though there's nothing Apeks-specific about it. You'll either want an STA or not. Note that the WTX3 (at least the one I have) does not have any kind of "roll control tabs" like you see on some wings that help minimize roll when not using an STA.

Another thing to note - Apeks' cam band slots on their plates and wingswings seem to be positioned at different heights than those on my H and some other backplates. This won't matter for you right now because you're getting an Apeks plate, but note that if you ever use the wing with a different backplate, you may need an STA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom