Apeks TX50 or Poseidon Jetstream (Odin)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glitch

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy my first reg.set and I want quality of course since I will be diving very cold here in Sweden (perhaps Ice as well). As I'm a poor recently graduated student money is the main issue and I am looking to buy used gear. Right now I am talking to two sellers.

One is selling a 7 year old Poseidon Odin (Jetstream) which has about 80 dives, been serviced annually by an authorized service center+a brand new Jetstream Octo for about roughly 250 USD (that alone is the price for a new Jetstream Octo here in Sweden).

The other one is selling an Apeks TX50 with a TX40 octo plus a Cirrus console (pressure/depth) about two years old only two hours dive time on it. The price for this set up is about 460USD.

I've heard good things about both regs. so it's a tough call. Basically I think the Apeks is a bit too expensive for me and I don't know wether the extra money is really gonna make that much of a difference. What bothers me about the Poseidon is that it's pretty old (although well maintained), maybe harder to find a service place plus more expensive to service and that it lacks a console but what's good is it comes with a Yoke-adapter. I just don't know I guess if you service the regs. regularly they will hold for years to come and both regs. should handle cold and deep dives well right?

Someone just please help me out here :)

Cheers

/C

Which first stage comes with the Apeks? I dive the ATX50 with the dry seal first stage and love it. Never had any experience with the other brand but the Apeks gets my vote.

$460US sounds reasonable. Maybe talk them down to $400US and you'll have a sweet deal if you decide to go with the Apeks.

Glitch:
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy my first reg.set and I want quality of course since I will be diving very cold here in Sweden (perhaps Ice as well). As I'm a poor recently graduated student money is the main issue and I am looking to buy used gear. Right now I am talking to two sellers.

One is selling a 7 year old Poseidon Odin (Jetstream) which has about 80 dives, been serviced annually by an authorized service center+a brand new Jetstream Octo for about roughly 250 USD (that alone is the price for a new Jetstream Octo here in Sweden).

The other one is selling an Apeks TX50 with a TX40 octo plus a Cirrus console (pressure/depth) about two years old only two hours dive time on it. The price for this set up is about 460USD.

I've heard good things about both regs. so it's a tough call. Basically I think the Apeks is a bit too expensive for me and I don't know wether the extra money is really gonna make that much of a difference. What bothers me about the Poseidon is that it's pretty old (although well maintained), maybe harder to find a service place plus more expensive to service and that it lacks a console but what's good is it comes with a Yoke-adapter. I just don't know I guess if you service the regs. regularly they will hold for years to come and both regs. should handle cold and deep dives well right?

Someone just please help me out here :)

Cheers

/C
What would you prefer be driving: a Volvo or a Rover? :wink:
Both regs are excellent. And will work great in cold water or when going deeper.
The poseidon is an older design but tested, true and reliable beyond most of other brands. There are Poseidon regs out there that are older than the brand Apeks and are still being used daily. For long time it was the best choice for tech diver. It is more expensive to buy and maintain because esp. abroad you'll have to look for a place to get it serviced, which will influence the prices.
The Apeks is a very nice reg as well. It has become very popular among techincal diver and has proven it's reliability too.
That said, I have to mention that an older reg that was maintained well can be in a better shape and condition than a reg that was used once, not rinsed and was lying around for couple of years. Nevertheless, both regs should be serviced prior to using them.
The price for the Poseidon appears to be great even without gauges. A SPG isn't very expensive. The price for the Apeks isn't bad either but nothing exceptional for a used reg.
Just my 2 cents

I would suggest going with the Apeks, the first stage is likely a DST. If so it will swivel.
Just for your info you can buy a DST with a ATX50 secondary for $325 USD on line in the US and the ATX40 secondary will cost about $160 so I would try to get the price down.

You can order for the UK or Spain for slightly less. PM me if you want the sites.

Good Luck
Gary

Hi, Welcome to the board...All though I use my Atomic 90% of the time... I do also have a apek ATX50 and like it a lot.... You can't go wrong with either one but I would research to see what the different in cost would be to maintain, the Apek and the Poseidon. Bottom line is going to be what you are willing to pay.........Try to work the selling price down...Especially if they are not using it anymore... Just my 2 cents..

Best things in life should be free....................Best Regards, Rey

The Poseidon are expensive to maintain, yet the price that you would be paying for it would a steal. I would look into what it would cost to have the Poseidon serviced where you are. Because they are made there it may be a little less than here. The Poseidon is a reg that you would never have to replace.

The Apeks on the other hand is way too expensive for a used reg. You can buyone for the same price as mentioned above. Also look into whether or not he has maintained the lifetime warranty. This will cover the parts cost of service. The apeksis a favourite among many. IT is a great performer and brethes nicely. It will also work well in your environment.

Tough call. Check out the service costs and warranties on them and make your call from there. If you are inclined to the apeks I would just buy the new one that way you are sure of the warranty and it doesn't cost you that uch more than the used one.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm going to give the Apeks guy a call and see if I can get the price down a bit. He'll of course say it's only been used twice and so on but from what you guys are saying a brand new set isn't even that much more expensive and value declines even if the stuff is just laying around. I'm inclined towards Apeks because it seems a bit easier and cheaper to get service abroad and towards Poseidon because of the price hmm tough one we'll see what comes out of it.

Cheers

/C

Glitch:
Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm going to give the Apeks guy a call and see if I can get the price down a bit. He'll of course say it's only been used twice and so on but from what you guys are saying a brand new set isn't even that much more expensive and value declines even if the stuff is just laying around. I'm inclined towards Apeks because it seems a bit easier and cheaper to get service abroad and towards Poseidon because of the price hmm tough one we'll see what comes out of it.

Cheers

/C

another thing that you may want to mention to him or even inquire about in your area is if (as a second owner) you are entitled to the warranty on the parts of the Apeks. Because I would drop the offer if it didn't The kits for apeks are expensive also if you don't have the warranty. ..

Well someone is a happy camper now :p

Just spoke to the Apeks guy and he ended up selling the reg+octo+console to me for 350USD including shipping.
The regs been used twice in pool dives so it's in tiptop condition bought last year not a single scratch on it saw some pics of it. Also got a nice Cirrus console with it so now all I need is a dry suit inflator hose before I can take on the cold and murky Swedish waters.

Wooohoooo life is good again! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom