Apeks Reg and Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piet

New
Reaction score
Well,
Being a relative newbie(about 20 openwater dives,)I have taken the plunge and invested into my first dive gear. I have purchased a TX50 Reg with a TX 40 octo and a Suunto Cobra for me and the wife *wince*. Most of my decision making was made due to a lot of the comments on this board.
Yes..I did go mail order because of the tremendous amount of savings that I could get. My local dealer seemed to think that giving me MSRP was a "good" thing. I do realize that I need to support my local dealer but this just went a little too far.

In any event....a couple of question

I remember seeing something on the board about attaching the Cobra to the Apeks TX50..I just cant find it anymore ! I just want to be prepared when I get it at the end of the week. Could someone please repost what the catch is or how you actually do it ??

Secondly, BCD..I am looking at a Seaquesst PRO QD and a Seaquest Diva LX for the wife....I am not afraid to drop some $$ since it is all really life dependent gear. Any comments on this choice...

I want to thank everyone for all of their wonderful postings it really made the decision making process a lot easier
Thanks for all of the help...
Piet

Piet,
I don't know about anything unusual in connecting the Cobra to the TX50: remove one of the high pressure ports and screw in the Cobra hose. Make sure there's no debris in the port, and the o-ring is lightly lubed (just shiny) with silicone grease. Tighten it by hand as tight as you can, then just a nudge with a wrench. The HP port should be marked as such, but it has a tiny hole at the bottom too.

As for the BC's, I'm a big SeaQuest fan, I say go for it.
Neil

Re. your BC choices--those are the BC's that Barbara and I have and they are just fine--we have had them for three years and they have held up well. We use them for about 75 dives a year.

One complaint: the pockets are nearly useless underwater--difficult to zip open or closed. This is especially true for me since I am carrying a camera. We solved the problem by attaching a Zeagle Sports Pouch to the cumberbun--an idea I got from a Genesis BC and was put in the right direction for finding the pouch by a member of this Board.

One more item: integrated wts are the greatest and we would never go back to belts. BUT you can knock the wts out of the holster if they are not fully secured by the velcro. Both Barbara and I did this early on and got a rapid ride to the surface--fortunately from only 20 ft down. The message: use every square inch of that velcro and double check it before diving.

Have fun!

Joewr

Hey Piet,

without flaming you too much - I think that's the kind of knowledge you pay the LDS for - at least that's how I see it - and if you need to ask how to attach the hoses, maybe you are not ready to do that yourself? Don't forget that this is life support you're dealing with - so when you're wheelin' and dealing to get a better price - you could also be affecting you life expectancy...
Btw, are you planning to have the regs services anually or semi annually?

I would highly recommend that you and you wife go through an equipment class ASAP so you know what you're doing there!

hope this helps you and please understand that I am not trying to stop you, I just hope you know what you're doing...

Cheers,
Terkel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom