Apeks MTX-R or Mares 28XR - HR sidemount set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walde

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will get MTX-R sidemount set or 28XR - HR sidemount set.
Tell me which one I should get and why?

I can get them at same prize.
I can get both Apeks and Mares easily serviced.
Will get 90 deg elbow for Mares for free.
Will mostly use them in cold water.

Both sets are good but is there something that makes the other one better in some way?
Thanks.

Both brands are good. My preference would be Scubapro MK25 or the DGX Extra since it allows the turret to swivel the long hose to a donor if needed. I also like Apeks XTX50, tried and tested to 200 metres. Meets Norsok Standard U-101 accreditation.

either will work, but would go with apeks if they are same price. better resale, better reliability track record, more service options in case you move elsewhere in future.

either will work, but would go with apeks if they are same price. better resale, better reliability track record, more service options in case you move elsewhere in future.

Agreed, nothing wrong with the Mares but if they are the same price I think your getting a lot more value for your money with the Apeks.

The MTX-R is basically a DST with a fancy body and some plastic caps on either end. Absolutely amazing reg with quite the reputation and ALOT of history that has been tired and proven around the world.

There is a reason why majority of the sidemount diving community is using DST's (or a copied variant) or MK25's. Obviously the two major sidemount diving destination in the world would be Florida and Mexico, let me know how many mares regs you see.

Also check with your local dealer and see how much they charge to service the Apeks vs. Mares I think you will find the Mares to be quite expensive. Lastly if you do end up servicing them your self, Apeks regs are stupid easy to service and required very few tools and since your in the EU service kits are easily available and actually easily available around the world (with the exceptions of the US).

The Apeks are great, I have the MTX-R sidemount set as well. They trim out well with the tanks.
I did my sidemount course with FSR first stages and my instructor started cursing at me when we started doing tank swaps. The MTX-Rs are much better for sidemount.

The Apeks are great, I have the MTX-R sidemount set as well. They trim out well with the tanks.
I did my sidemount course with FSR first stages and my instructor started cursing at me when we started doing tank swaps. The MTX-Rs are much better for sidemount.
Can you elaborate? The HP and LP port orientation between the MTX-R and the FSR seems very similar, with the exception of the opposite 5th port orientation. Was that it?
Screenshot_20210506-151735_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20210506-151538_Google.jpg

What was your instructor's complaint?

Can you elaborate? The HP and LP port orientation between the MTX-R and the FSR seems very similar, with the exception of the opposite 5th port orientation. Was that it?
View attachment 657569 View attachment 657570
What was your instructor's complaint?

You can definitely run side mount with the FSRs (as I did in my class), its just that they are bricks in the water. The MTX-R is lighter and more easily balances with the tank.
It isn't so much an issue with hose routing, though the swivel ports are nice, but the weight is definitely a factor.
Her complaint was that the tanks were much more top heavy than she was used to and thus throwing off her trim. Without name dropping, she is an extremely skilled side mount diver, easily able to adjust for the difference and was more just giving me sh!t for having such heavy first stages and making her have to deal with it.

Can you get the Apeks DST with 5th port option cheaper than the MTX?

If so the DST is a superb reg for all waters and the 5th port option gives you a hose out of the top (into the drysuit or wing). Think it should be cheaper than the MTX.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom