Apeks Kvr1 Dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Kruse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody know how this drysuit would compare to the santi or waterproof dry suits? I don't see as many of them around, I thought I read somewhere where it gets real heavy after it's wet. Any thoughts?
thanks
Jeff

Anybody know how this drysuit would compare to the santi or waterproof dry suits? I don't see as many of them around, I thought I read somewhere where it gets real heavy after it's wet. Any thoughts?
thanks
Jeff
I’d read about the Whites or Aqualung Fusion if you’re looking to gain opinions on the KVR1. I dislike the design heavily and would much rather get a Ursuit/Deep6/Seaskin/Otter/SEAL/Rofos/Santi/WP but YMMV.

As grantctobin said, this is a White's/Aqualung Fusion suit. It is a VERY different design than any other drysuit out there. I used to have one and it was a good entry point for me, but switched to a Santi.

The design is like a "Hefty bag" inner liner and a "body suit" outer liner. There are some benefits and I know some people that like the design, but it is definitely unconventional.

It seems like that the people that like it love it and everybody else hates it. Do we think it's a well built suit or not? The shop that I'm going to get my drysuit cert has aqualung suits they do look the same. I just thought the apeks would be a little tougher with the kevlar material. I own gortex simms waders for fishing and they are great. It seems like these are the same kind of set up.

I own a KVR1. I got it at the beginning of covid because all of the other custom options were super far out on shipping times. It has been quite a workhorse for me. It is built very well. However, The outer skin does tend to sag when wet, the feet are a bit large, and the upper area (chest/neck) is super boxy and uncomfortable with the way that it zips. I decided to get a custom order Seaskin Nova as a backup, but it quickly became my primary suit. I do not feel overall that it is as durable as the KVR1 though. The Nova makes up for it in comfort. I had a good experience with the KVR1, but a custom fit, front zip trilam (or similar) with a pee valve is hard to beat and is a way better setup than KVR1. Looking to sell the KVR1 soon. Hope this helps.

I was wondering about that zipper, looks like it might get in the way.

I was wondering about that zipper, looks like it might get in the way.
Yeah. It feels great rubbing your collar bones…and the shape of it pushes it out…it will never lay flat. Also, one thing I forgot, I got the Fourth Element Anteres dry glove ring system with it and it rubs the palm area below my thumb absolutely raw while on the DPV trigger. This could be attributed to the sag of the arms. Not sure. The more I think of my KVR1, the more I am happy to move past it.

yeah, thats a bummer. I like the apeks line of gear. I did see that apeks makes a straight laminate one also. I saw it at a store online at a place over seas. I have not heard any reviews on it. It's a front zip but not like the kvr1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom