Apeks First Stage Stages Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjsmith1979

Registered
Reaction score
I have tried the ATX200 and ATX50 now for my doubles the other night for some technical diving and I am wanting to place an order shortly for my regs, however alot of people on the board has recommended the DS4 First Stage for the ATX50.

However I know that you can order all the Apeks Regs in both DIN and YOKE configurations... could people please let me know the differences between the standard Apeks DIN and the Apeks DS4 and also Apeks DST First Stage Regulators ??

What are the size differences ? Which would be better for hose routing ? Which has a better servicing history ? Any other information would be appreciated also

For doubles, the hose routing on the DS4 is great! The DST has a swivel which some look at as another potential failure point. Go with the DIN DS4. I promise you won't be sorry.

Jason

Jason B:
For doubles, the hose routing on the DS4 is great! The DST has a swivel which some look at as another potential failure point. Go with the DIN DS4. I promise you won't be sorry.

Jason

Thanks for the feedback, is the DS4 much smaller than the DST ? From time to time, my Apeks Reg would also be used with the Din to Yoke Converter while travelling around doing some recreational diving. Has anyone had any problems with the DS4 using the Apeks Din to Yoke Converter or should I just buy another cheaper reg for travelling ??

I have heard that people dont like the Din to Yoke Converters also as they bump there heads into it when looking up... does it take some getting used too or is it just a bad idea all together ??

tjsmith1979:
Thanks for the feedback, is the DS4 much smaller than the DST ? From time to time, my Apeks Reg would also be used with the Din to Yoke Converter while travelling around doing some recreational diving. Has anyone had any problems with the DS4 using the Apeks Din to Yoke Converter or should I just buy another cheaper reg for travelling ??

I have heard that people dont like the Din to Yoke Converters also as they bump there heads into it when looking up... does it take some getting used too or is it just a bad idea all together ??

i use a din to yoke adaptor for my poseidon and they do in fact hit the back of your head when looking up, i however solved that problem by raising my bc a couple of inches. problem solved!

tjsmith1979:
I have tried the ATX200 and ATX50 now for my doubles the other night for some technical diving and I am wanting to place an order shortly for my regs, however alot of people on the board has recommended the DS4 First Stage for the ATX50.

However I know that you can order all the Apeks Regs in both DIN and YOKE configurations... could people please let me know the differences between the standard Apeks DIN and the Apeks DS4 and also Apeks DST First Stage Regulators ??

What are the size differences ? Which would be better for hose routing ? Which has a better servicing history ? Any other information would be appreciated also

I currently own an ATX100, two DST, and two DS4 Apeks first stages. I use the DS4's for my doubles because they're smaller and the hoses route cleanly. The DST's are good for singles configuration, but as noted, the washer between the swivel (low pressure stage) and high pressure stage does wear out and eventually you get some minor leakage there until you replace the washer. On my regs it happens typically after 70-100 dives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I currently own an ATX100, two DST, and two DS4 Apeks first stages. I use the DS4's for my doubles because they're smaller and the hoses route cleanly. The DST's are good for singles configuration, but as noted, the washer between the swivel (low pressure stage) and high pressure stage does wear out and eventually you get some minor leakage there until you replace the washer. On my regs it happens typically after 70-100 dives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am ordering an Apeks ATX200 and ATX 50 for my doubles, I was going to order the ATX50 with the DS4 but would you suggest going with the standard ATX200 DIN First Stage or would you recommend changing this to the DS4 DIN First Stage Also ?

How much are the service kits for these as I have been hearing from a number of people that I dive with, that the Apeks can be quite expensive to service and after two years about 150 dives require the complete service kits for the First and Second Stages which could cost up to about $150-200 US Dollars... any one had these issues ?

Does the DS4 come standard to the 40% EAN Nitrox out of the box like all the other Apeks Regs ? Does it cost very much to service the DS4 to be totally O2 Cleaned to handle any Nitrox Mixes ??

tjsmith1979:
How much are the service kits for these as I have been hearing from a number of people that I dive with, that the Apeks can be quite expensive to service and after two years about 150 dives require the complete service kits for the First and Second Stages which could cost up to about $150-200 US Dollars... any one had these issues ?

http://www.salvodiving.com/apeks__hoses1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom