Apeks Dry Suit inflator leak -- need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RebreatherNut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
I am diving a Northern Diver Dry suit and I have one of those swivel Apeks Dry suit inflators. Well, over time, there has been a leak that is getting bigger with every time, however I can't locate what the actual cause is. I know that it is from the Inflator. I have taken the inflator apart, checked all the parts, re-greased the parts and put it back together. I have done pressure testing twice (inflating the dry suit), and there is no leak.
In other words, no air is coming out, but water goes in. Also, during the dive, no air bubbles visible.

Well, I am sort of at a loss. Did something like that or similar happen to anyone out there? What did you do? Any sort of information or help is appreciated.

Thanks,
RBN

Never had a water leak in my Apeks inflator, but I've done maintenance on mine like you've done.

Some suggestions:
  • Try reversing the suit for the soapy water pressure test. Flow may occurr in only one direction. Try wiggling the valve base while pressurized to create the leak. It would be nice to confirm the source of the leak.
  • Once you're convinced that the valve is the source of the leak, try adding a thin layer of silicone caulk over the existing caulk and only tighten the valve slightly until the caulk is fully set, then tighten snugly, but not overly tight
Can you see anything interfering with the valve base flange making good contact with the caulk seal on the suit?

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom