Apeks bp/w - beginner review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

llyamah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

I know there's lots of threads on this but thought I would post my own. I was looking to purchase my first BCD a while ago and got sucked in to the bp/w route. And I'm so glad I did!

I ended up purchasing a package of all Apeks stuff. (1) Stainless steel backplate, (2) WTX 30 wing (prob could have survived with the 18), (3) 'deluxe' harness (which oddly is actually more simple and cheaper than the non-deluxe version), (4) 2x surelock cam bands, (5) 2 x book screws (only mention this because as a beginner I could have overlooked the need for this).

I decided to just go all Apeks as I understand that mixing and matching brands can cause difficulties. For example, I was going to get a cheaper different branded backplate, but was told I'd need to buy a single tank adapter if I did that, but could do without it if I stuck with the apeks stuff.

I also purchased it as a package, with some regulators (Apeks XL4) online from a shop in the Netherlands (I'm in the UK). I then added two cheap trim pocksts.

If you are a beginner, I'd highly recommend just going down the 'package' route like this, as it takes a lot of the guesswork out of it.

Putting it all together was easy. It still needs small adjustments but I've just done my third dive with it and couldn't be happier. It feels nice and streamlined.

If you are a beginner and weighing up going down this route but are a bit daunted, don't be, just do it and keep your first set up simple by using the se brand (IMO).

I also considered Xdeep but decided to opt for Apeks instead.

Last week i ordered all Scuba Pro BP&W from my local dive shop. I looked at Hollis, Apeks and then Scuba Pro. I went with the Scuba Pro only because one of the staff members at the shop owned the exact set up and was giving me pieces off his rig that I didn't have to buy. I have traveled and used a jacket for a couple of years and now am ready to get something the fit better.

If you are a beginner, I'd highly recommend just going down the 'package' route like this, as it takes a lot of the guesswork out of it.

Particularly if the harness is already threaded in and just needs some adjustment, there really is nothing that should keep freshly minted divers from going down the bp/w path.

What stands in the way is mostly the fact that most shops still do not carry bp/w setups and have staff that does not know about them.

It is still very rare to see them among rec divers despite all the good arguments for it unfortunately, so good on you.

Last week i ordered all Scuba Pro BP&W from my local dive shop. I looked at Hollis, Apeks and then Scuba Pro. I went with the Scuba Pro only because one of the staff members at the shop owned the exact set up and was giving me pieces off his rig that I didn't have to buy. I have traveled and used a jacket for a couple of years and now am ready to get something the fit better.

I dive an X-Tek setup and it's been fantastic, enjoy!

I also purchased it as a package, with some regulators (Apeks XL4) online from a shop in the Netherlands (I'm in the UK). I then added two cheap trim pocksts.
Bit surprised it was cheaper in the Netherlands than the UK. It's all made here, somewhere up north

Particularly if the harness is already threaded in and just needs some adjustment, there really is nothing that should keep freshly minted divers from going down the bp/w path.

What stands in the way is mostly the fact that most shops still do not carry bp/w setups and have staff that does not know about them.

It is still very rare to see them among rec divers despite all the good arguments for it unfortunately, so good on you.

I dive an X-Tek setup and it's been fantastic, enjoy!

Mine wasn't pre-threaded but it was easy to do and, in doing so, you learn about the kit in case you need to replace anything.

All dive shops that I spoke to tried to get me to go down the traditional BCD route. The largest in central London told me BP/W wasn't suitable for beginner divers and Simply Scuba said similar. I think it is either a lack of understanding by sales staff or it is just easy to sell one item instead of multiple.

Bit surprised it was cheaper in the Netherlands than the UK. It's all made here, somewhere up north

I know I was surprised too though didn't realise they actually make it here (know they are UK HQd though). All in I paid 949 EUR (inc the regs). Maybe I didn't try hard enough but don't think it was cheaper anywhere else.

thank you for sharing :) it's interesting info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom